We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

Good evening TA-Yorkshire Dales,

Thinking of visiting the last week of May for about 5 days before I head to London. I have tons of questions so please bear with me. I live in the US and planning this as the last leg of my Rome-Prague-UK trip. I'm in my 30s and look forward to doing day hikes, and just the general touristy stuff. I will not be renting a car and will have a carry on luggage.

1. I'll be flying in one way from Prague. I've been checking Wiki page for Leeds airport and flights. Looks like Jet2.com has direct flights but I'm not sure of any hidden fees, but the rates seem the best (130 US$ minus any hidden/baggage fees). I tried KLM but my GOD it's expensive! Would it just make sense to fly to a more accessible London airport?

2. Either way, (Leeds or London), what's the town to travel to?

So these are things I'd like to do: take that Settle-Carlisle train. I'm really not particular from where to where I go, but just enough to, well, say I went on it!

I'd like to hike that 3 peaks. I heard it's a good day's hike but I'm concerned how I can get there at 545a'ish which is when most day hikers start it (without a car). Can I walk to it from the nearest town I base myself in?

Any other ideas?

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

minus any hidden/baggage fees

---

What hidden fees? They are all the on the website, if you want the items you pay for them, if you don't you don't. Full service airlines have hidden fees, they don't tell you how much you are paying for things you don't want

Look at total cost, inc the travel to and from the airport, only you can figure that out as it depends on so many variables, London might be cheaper, it might be more expensive, there is no standard answer

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

The 3 peaks iss avChallenge and I can only assume you will have and be carrying all the essential clothes and equipment to do this safely.

I do think you need to do some more research of what you'd like to see and do in this area. IWe can attempt to answer questions but we can't possibly know what you'd like to see and do besides walking.

You'll need to plan very carefully without a car - it's very rural up here and pretty much everyone drives. Publlic transport exists but not in all parts and can be slow or patchy.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

Apologies about earlier typing - should have said the Yorkshire 3 peaks is a Challenge.

As I think you've worked out, there will be no trains or buses at 5am, so you'd have to stay in Horton.

http://www.horton-in-ribblesdale.com/

More info here.

www.eightpointtwo.co.uk/YorkshireThreePeaks/

thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk/yorkshire-three…

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

The 3 peaks of Yorkshire is a 23 mile circular walk so you can start it from anywhere along the route. As the name states it does go up 3 peaks (mountains) walking down to the valleys before walking up the next one. Depending on the weather it can vary from a very pleasant walk to a complete nightmare. If you are into walking you should have no problems with the route and the map reading. I always walk in trainers and are happy if I get my feet wet, do carry waterproofs and food and drink. Please take your rubbish back with you. The traditionally start is the café in Horton in Ribblesdale. You can clock in at the café, but if you do, you MUST also clock out the at café so they know you are safely off the mountains.

You say last week in May. For the last 26 years on the last weekend in May I have walked or helped out on a one hundred mile non-stop walk somewhere in Britain and the weather can vary from a heatwave to snow and everything in between. So please use your head and only go out onto the mountain if the weather is with you.

Good walking, Ian.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 10:19
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

Something else to think about - the last week of May (w/c 26th) is a half term holiday for the majority of schools in this country. It's a very popular time for a family holiday - so activities such as going on the Settle railway will be much busier. Accommodation gets booked up quickly too, so I'd finalise your own arrangements as soon as you can.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

Have you looked at flights to Manchester? It's easy to get a train to either Leeds or York from there. It's a lot closer than London.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
207 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

Unless flights to MAN are much cheaper fly to Leeds, Jet2 re a low cost carrier so bag charges are extra & you need to ensure cary on complies withtheir size & weight limits, but they are a good airline.

Depending on arrival time you can get bus 737 towards Bradford to Shipley Rail station, check the National Rail website for trains from there to Horton in Ribblesdale, this is the train that will go on the Settle Carlisle line but they are not frequent.

s others have said the Yorkshire Three Peaks is a challenge walk of around 26 miles, although the hills are only just over 2000 feet combined withe distance it does catch people out. You need GB Ordnance Survey 1/25000 maps a compass good waterproofs & suitable footwearideally boots.

There is b&b accomodation in Horton but you should book in advance.

If you decide not to do the 3 Peaks there is plenty of alternative walks that will give you a feel for the area that are as rewarding

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

Why boots? Most long distance walkers wear trainers now.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

The three peaks, hills or mountains? In the U.S. any hill over 1000foot is classed as a mountain but in Britain the hill as to be over 2000foot. The 3 hills on the three peaks of Yorkshire are over 2000 foot so all three are classed as mountains. I used the word mountain to give Vikram some scale of the walk.

Vikram, I've been lucky enough to do some walking around your neck of the woods and if you are any kind of walker you will find our hills/mountains very tame to yours. Also we do not have any wildlife that will kill you. No bad snakes, no bears or lions. While on Mt St Helens I was lucky enough to come face to face with a mountain lion. Yes I was driving a car at the time but still something I will never forget. I've also had two of your Bold Eagles circling above me while walking in Virginia.

10. Re: Planning 5 days in the region, need advice on everything!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 06:18