We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

Hi, we're looking for a base in YD and will rely only on public transport. Looking for a town with good day walk options either directly from town or by way of easy bus/train ride. Also looking for place with good restaurant/pub choices. Some recommend Skipton or Settle. Any opinion on these or other options? Thanks for any advice.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
208 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

How long do you plan being in the Dales for? Skipton is not in the Dales but less than 5 miles from the southern edge, there is good public transport by bus from there into Wharfedale where there are numerous opportunities for day walks. You can also get to Ribblesdale by train which is generally less busy. Malham is difficult to get to by bus except at weekends. Plenty of accommodation & dining options. Settle has plenty of walks directly from the town which is much smaller than Skipton, transport into Ribblesdale & around the western edges of the Park. Generally public transport is not too good & careful planning is required. Maybe worth considering depending on number of days a split between Skipton & somewhere like Haws in Wensleydale which is a small town but plenty of hotels plus you can walk from Hawes and there are bus services along the dale opening up other areas. Can I recommend on arrival gettint the Yorkshire Dales National Park publication "Visitor" available at National Park Centres & normally Tourist Information Centres close to the Dales. This list various events & also walks run both by the National Park & other organisations. It will show those accessible by Public Transport.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

Skipton isn't in the Dales (it's known as the Gateway to the Dales for obvious reasons). It sounds as if you would be better staying somewhere right in the National Park so you can walk from your base as well as taking public transport.

I'd definitely investigate Settle - sounds what you are looking for.

Edited: 20 May 2014, 09:53
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

Thanks for the advise thus far. We plan to stay in the Dales for up to 5-6 days. Perhaps we should short list Settle, Grassington, or Hawes? Settle has both rail and bus links and may suit our needs the best. Although Grassington and perhaps Hawes also seem attractive.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

Hi,

you will find all the information you need on the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority's website at www.yorkshiredales.org.uk . You will also be able to look at the latest,online edition of the National Park Authority's Visitor newspaper, which contains a lot of information on what's on, where to go and things to do and see, It also has a supplement on the Tour de France Grand Depart, which comes through the National Park on July 5 and general information of cycling in the National Park.

Additional information is available the Authority's National Park Centres in Grassington, Aysgarth Falls, Hawes (in the Dales Countryside Museum), Malham and Hudson House in Reeth.

Hope this helps.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

You are going to be very limited without a car - the Dales are rural and public transport is patchy, slow or just plain non existent. My village in Wensleydale gets two buses a day.

Grassington, Hawes etc are fine with a car. But you need to be realistic and choose somewhere with better links.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
319 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

The Dalesbus summer bus timetable can be found at www.dalesbus.org. This web-site has useful information about travel in and around the National Park and other visitor information.

Level Contributor
3,129 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

I like Hawes. You can do a couple of nice walks from there and I think (from memory) there's a bus service from there along the main road through Wensleydale.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

A car would be much better. However, hawes is a good place right in the heart if the dales. From northallerton railway station you can catch a bus to bedale and from there 156/7 bus to hawes. You can also go some of the way on the Wensleydale railway from bedale. Beautiful scenery all the way.

Texan (in...
Level Contributor
69 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

I have the exact same dilemma! I found this site to be extremely helpful in finding a good (car-less) base: http://where2walk.co.uk/

I'm leaning towards Settle, myself, but I REALLY want to visit the Wendslydale Creamery in Hawes! Hopefully I can find some Wendslydale cheese in Settle...

Anyone know how far it is to walk from Settle to Malham Cove, generally?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best base in Yorkshire Dales without car?

You can buy Wensleydale cheese everywhere!