We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

Enkhuizen, The...
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

September trip, on a weekday. Arriving early morning with the Rotterdam-Hull ferry and looking for a scenic route to travel to arrive in Richmond in the afternoon.

We have only 1 must-see on our list - two memorial benches just south of Thwaite

(long story short: having seen a Dutch documentary on memory benches in northern England and absolutely loved the view from those near Thwaite. Unfortunately the documentary maker never found out who the people are that are mentioned on the memorial plaques on those two benches - which makes them even more attractive).

The rest of the route is up for discussion, but we're pretty sure driving the suggested Google Maps route (using the A1 most of the trip, then for a back and forth trip to Thwaite) isn't the holiday way to go.

So what route to take from Hull? Drive to Harrogate, then on to Pateley Bridge, Grassington and take the road north to Hawes? Or travel via Leeds and use Skipton as the gateway to the Dales?

We are not shy of singletrack roads, but do not want to be in the car for longer than 4 hours a day.

Recommendations for scenic leg stretching stops are welcome. Also, suggestions for a nice lunch stop en route in the Yorkshire Dales would be greatly appreciated.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

The road from grassington to Hawes is definitely to be recommended, and its not over narrow, although I think google maps is rather optimistic about how long it takes (even if you dont keep stopping to take in the scenery like I do) STOP at Brimham rocks to break the journey, its very close to the route and you will struggle to spend less than 90 mins there as it remarkable, the cafe is not great, so pick up something in Knaresborough or even at Wetherby services (M&S foods..) for a picnic if the weather is nice

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

Not sure why you'd drive to Harrogate - it's a fair way from the Dales. Pateley is in Nidderdale and is lovely, as is the road from Pateley into Wharfedale. Have you thought what you'll do if the weather is foul though and sheeting rain blocks out any scenic views?

Edited: 23 June 2014, 21:31
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

because they are coming from the hull ferry, its the obvious route for me, although traffic through Knaresboro can be a pain at weekends in summer

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

I would head for York - spend 1 or 100 hours there! - then Thirsk (pretty market place, Herriot Museum) and then Leyburn beofre ending up in Richmond.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

They are travelling on a weekday not a weekend - having lived in Harrogate for over 20 years the weekday traffic can be awful at certain times of the day. I like the 'heading to York' idea but you have very limited time to travel from Hull, visit York, then the Dales and end up at Richmond.

There are commemorative benches absolutely everywhere, dozens and dozens of them many with lovely views.

The A1 isn't a scenic route but I travel it most days and unless there has been an 'incident' it is pretty free flowing and also fast. Maybe you should just bite the bullet, get to the edge of the Dales fast and then take Junction 50 off and head into Wensleydale. The road becomes scenic fairly swiftly with lots to see and do on the way as you head 'up Dale'.

You can then keep on the country roads to end up in Richmond.

Enkhuizen, The...
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

First of all, thank you for the comments.

I think visiting York, the Dales and Richmond in one day is a bit too much - we like to take our time to explore cities and York seems a city that deserves a longer visit. We'll keep that in mind for another trip though!

Morgana, that's actually a good bit of advice about the A1 part, thanks! I haven't looked at it that way, it seems like that option leaves us with enough time to enjoy some of the country roads and the scenery of the Yorkshire Dales without having the feeling we have to rush or spend half a day in the car.

Also, if the weather's foul we are close enough to Richmond to call it a day, if the weather's nice we might explore some more.

7. Re: One day in the Dales - drive from Hull to the Richmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:23