We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

Which Northampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

I've heard mixed reviews on what Northampton town centre is like. I've heard that unruly students and chavs can make things "unpleasant." Would it be safe for a solo female traveler?

I was thinking of going there for a gig at Roadmenders on a Monday night and then staying over. I'm accustomed to traveling alone and do so often in London, but I've never been to Northampton. Any info/advice would be much appreciated!

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
649 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

Hi Penguin, firstly I don't live in Northampton but i do live in the UK. In my experience most ritish towns and cities are pretty much the same. They all have good areas and not so good areas. Northampton is probably no different to London, Birmingham or Manchester. You just need to take the same precautions as you normally would do. I.E keep in public, busy areas where there are other people around,be aware of your surroundings,keep an eye on your propoty and drinks in bars or public places. If you use a cab,use a black cab taxi rather than private hire (normal car) All black cabs are instantly recognisable,registered and traceable.

Dont worry un-necessarily. Believe me,every British town and city has unfortunately to bear the modern day scourge of chavs and unruly drunks on its streets,both in the towns and city centres and in the suburbs. Until our soft woolly Government does something about it,it will continue.

Northants, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

I do live near Northampton.

You need to be no more careful than you would in any British town.

Where are you thinking of staying? If you have any specific questions I would be happy to answer.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

I was looking at the Ibis at Sol Centre, mostly because it fits my budget and it seems pretty centrally located to both the train station and Roadmenders. I'm open to other possibilities, though. I'm clearly not looking for luxury!

Thanks for the replies. It always helps to get first-hand knowledge when I'm unsure about a place.

Northants, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

That's funny because that is where I was going to suggest. In the same complex there is a good oriental buffet called Aroma. If you cross the road and walk up Gold Street - you can look around Northampton. The Guildhall in particular is beautiful. As you will have seen on a map, if you cross the road and walk to the left (take care - dual carriageway to cross) you will be at Roadmender.

Who are you going to see?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

I'm planning to see Inspiral Carpets. It's next Monday, so yes, I've left this a bit late! I'm flying into London this Wednesday.

I'm mainly concerned about leaving the gig and getting back to the hotel all right by myself. Though perhaps since this is on a Monday, things won't be so rowdy as on the weekend?

Thanks for the tip on Aroma!

Northants, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

Honestly, it's unlikely you'll have any trouble - it's a brisk two minute walk. There will probably be other people leaving the gig and waking in that direction as it's the direct route to the train station.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

Ha ha, okay. I think I just got paranoid. Thanks for the reassurance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

I am also going to the Carpets on Monday!! Hope you enjoy it, the Roadmenders is the finest live venue in Britain (imo). Prepare to get sweaty.

9. Re: Is Northampton safe for a solo female traveler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Northampton