We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

formula one grand prix

dublin
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
formula one grand prix

my sister and i are trying to plan a surprie weekend to take our hubbbies to the grand prix but are totally clueles about venue etc........we will fly from dublin....but is birmingham the nearest city to fly to.....going to go for 3 nights and have looked at northampton to stay in....is this a good choice.....whilst the guys are at the racing we would like to go shopping etc......also would like a place with decent restaurants, bars etc........as u can see we are totally in the dark so any suggestions would be appreciated......

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: formula one grand prix

Northampton is actually close to a few airports, Luton and East Midlands are probably the closest (approx. 45 mins away in the car). Birmingham is also close (just over an hour). Not entirely sure about the train connections though.

You could stay in Northampton, its centrally located. It has some decent shops although you may want to go to Milton Keynes which is far better (depends where you stay is only 30 mins drive).

Or there is a outlet village called Bicester village which is out towards Oxford way (approx 1 hour 15 away in car).

Or you could go to Birmingham for the day by train (about 1 hour away) Probably recommend this. They have the Bullring shopping centre - extremely good.

There are plenty of bars and restaurants in Northampton town centre and along Wellingborough Road (runs into the town centre).

If you stay in Northampton then Silverstone circuit is approx 30 - 45 mins away although on race weekend this may take much longer.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions then please ask.

Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
East Midlands
East Midlands
England, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Northampton
Northampton
Northamptonshire, UK
Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire, UK
Bicester Village
Bicester Village
3,017 Reviews
Bicester, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Silverstone Circuit
Silverstone Circuit
1,030 Reviews
Silverstone, UK
Northants, UK
Level Contributor
308 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: formula one grand prix

Yes, I agree with all the above. I just thought that I would add that travelling to and from the circuit can be very congested and it can be a good idea to stay close - what would your accomodation budget be? as there is a wide variety of options but you would want to book ASAP.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: formula one grand prix

General access tickets are about £140 each. Grandstands are extra and most appear to be sold out. As already said, stay close and be prepared to get up at 6:00 to get in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,087 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: formula one grand prix

Birmingham is the best airport to fly into. You can take the train to Northampton from the airport. There are buses to the track from Northampton station on race day. Luton and East Midlands are useless unless you are renting a car

Couldnt comment on shopping as I find it dull and rarely go to the town centre. There are many bars and restaurants in the town. You can also take a train to London, it takes about an hour, shopping is good there I have heard

Milton Keynes has a big shopping centre and little else to recommend it.

Stony Stratford and Towcester are good locations to base yourself both have many pubs and eateries, shopping will be non existent in both. Again you would need a car.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Northampton
Northampton
Northamptonshire, UK
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
East Midlands
East Midlands
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire, UK
South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: formula one grand prix

I live quite near Silverstone and the traffic is murder, if you're thinking about dropping them off so you can go shopping my advice would be to hire a couple of bikes, drop them off near Towcester and let them ride the last few miles. Otherwise you'll spend half the day stuck in traffic. There are some nice B&B's and self catering near by and also some great restaurants that won't be affected by the hoardes. Let me know if you need any more info.

PS avoid Northampton, it really isn't too good.

Mentioned in this post
Northampton
Northampton
Northamptonshire, UK
East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: formula one grand prix

I'd be inclined to consider flying to Birmingham, basing yourselves in Birmingham and let the chaps travel by train to Northampton on Race Day to connect with the coaches that one of the other posters has mentioned.

If those buses go from Northampton Railway station to Silverstone and back then, IMO, this would be the best option for everyone.

3 nights in Birmingham will be infintely better than 3 nights in Northampton or Milton Keynes.

If that's workable then you'll have a much better time (I live about 25 miles from Northampton and would always choose Birmingham (85 miles) as a place to shop and relax (bars, restaurants, etc)).

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Northampton
Northampton
Northamptonshire, UK
Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire, UK
7. Re: formula one grand prix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 03:20