We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

Which Northampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

We will be driving from Derbyshire (Bakewell) on our way to London and would like to stop for a night in Northampton to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor. Which town be a great place to spend the night that would make it easy to see both? A charming town that would be convenient is what we are looking for. Thanks.

South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

Northampton is closest for Althorp, but it is in no way charming and I'd suggest you'd best avoid it, however on the outskirts there is a Travelodge which would be fine for a base to see Sulgrave and Althorp. Towcester is another choice which has a Travelodge and the Saracens Head, but again I wouldn't call it charming.

There are quite a few nice country Guest Houses you can google such as Coton Lodge or Murcott Mill which would be good for Althorp.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

Thanks, Blackjohn,

We may stay at Murcott Mill in Long Buckby. It looks very nice. We will be fairly close to Althorp, which is great. Do you know how long it will take to drive from Althorp to Sulgrave Manor? We would like to get-up in the morning, see Althorp, drive to Sulgrave Manor, tour and then get on the road to London. The distance between the two estates does not seem like much, but depending on the roads, it could take longer than I think. Do you know?

South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

It's probably going to take an hour from Althorp to Sulgrave. You can go on the main road or cut through loads of little villages which are great if you have the time. En (scenic) route you could take in Fawsley Hall which is now a very grand hotel which dates back to the 16th century, there's also a church there which dates back to the 13th century.

Also out that way is a litlle place called Eydon, which I'm told has a really good restaurant and pub although I haven't been.

If you had more time you could go on from Sulgrave to Stowe House and gardens, which are about 10 miles further, there are amazing gardens there which are well worth a look and the House and ground have been used in loads of films.

Have a great time.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

Have you cheked whether Althorp will be open? It has fairly limited hours.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

Thanks, excellent suggestion. I will check. I have wanted to see Althorp for many years, and now since we are going to be so close to it, I just have to go there.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,818 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

Just to support blackjohn - Althorp's web site (www.althorp.com) confirms that public opening hours ended in August. However, there are some "Christmas" sessions being held from Nov 27th - these aren't really tours more an opportunity to spend £30+ having a dirnk and a nibble in several of the rooms.

If that changes your view of where you actually want to stay (because, again bj is right, it is about an hours drive from Althorp to Sulgrave) then finding somewhere closer to Sulgrave ( which is nearer the M40 (direct into London) would be a better bet (Buckingham? Bicester? Banbury?).

Long Buckby is probably an unnecessary trek if you can't get into Althorp.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

Thanks for your help. Although this is for next summer, I think we will forego spending the night and just try to see Sulgrave on the way to London. Although I always admired Diana, I am not a big fan of the Earl Spencer. Maybe another time.

8. Re: Base to visit Althorp and Sulgrave Manor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Northampton