We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Northampton to Oxford

London
3 posts
Save Topic
travel from Northampton to Oxford

Hello everyone!

I am looking for the best way to get from Northampton to Oxford next Wednesday. I see that train requires a change at Coventry and is quite expensive, and am wondering whether there is a bus service which might be as quick and perhaps less expensive. Would appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

train to Milton Keynes Central and Stagecoach X5 bus from there to Oxford might work for you. The X5 picks up at the train station, http://www.stagecoachx5.com/

London
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

Thank you so much! The Milton Keynes/Stagecoach alternative looks pretty good; will examine times in more detail but should be able to make the connection work fairly smoothly. May not be any quicker, but will certainly be cheaper. Thanks again!

East Midlands
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

If that's no good for you another option is that you can catch a bus (the Number 88) from Northampton Bus station (Bay 18) that will take you to Silverstone. At Silverstone you change onto the X88 and that will take you to Oxford (Gloucester Green Bus Station).

The timetable says it takes 2hrs and 20 minutes.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

Thank you, Ginger Chimp!

Is there a website where I can find the schedules and fares for these buses from Northampton to Silverstone, and then from Silverstone to Oxford? Two hours and twenty minutes is a great time, only 20 minutes longer than the train and, I'm sure, a much more reasonable price. Thanks again!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_8921_… is what you want.

Fares - no idea. Very few bus companies publish them online

Yet another possibility (and more frequent) is the X4 Northampton to Milton Keynes to pick up the X5 to Oxford

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_11729…

East Midlands
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

Thanks dzug.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

I made a similar journey recently but was strongly advised by those in the know, not to use the service 88 / X88 connection at Silverstone as it was very unreliable.

Taking the X4 from Northampton to MK rail station, then the X5 from there to Oxford would be the cheapest option if you buy a "Mega day" ticket on the bus.

Bicester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

I had the misfortune to end up in Northampton bus station at 5.30 on a weekday. According to various websites the bus I needed, number 8, the last one left at 6.16pm. On the display board it said the destination was Silverstone, nowhere near the destination. I enquired at the information in the bus station and was told this did go to Bicester, next stop before Oxford. When the bus came the driver said this was incorrect. So I asked back what was my next option and was told the X4 to Milton Keynes leaving at 6.20 was the one to catch. Myself and another couple, waited, nothing showed up. I went back to the info desk where the previous person had left and after explaining my story I was told the last bus to MK had left before this and as I was told a pack of lies by the staff to put in an official complaint. This still didn't get me home, so my last option was to walk to the train station, about half a mile, get the train to MK and catch the last but one X5 at 8pm to Oxford back. I arrived home at 9pm.

South...
Level Contributor
96 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

I feel sorry for anyone that has the misfortune of having to go to N'ton bus station, it is a soul destroying experience. I hope you've been able to steer clear ever since.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from Northampton to Oxford

I use to get the school bus everyday and it went via the Northampton bus station in the morning and afternoon .....horrid place.