We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

Hi,

Husband, self and 14yr old son are coming over from Australia in August this year to attend a wedding at Dissington Hall. Though we can stay some of the time with my sister in Cramlington, we need somewhere for the Friday night before and the Saturday night of the wedding.

The Hall website suggests a few places, among them 'The Bay Horse Inn' Stamfordham, 'The Diamond Inn Ponteland, and 'Matfen Hall" Matfen (rather pricey). My sister has mentioned 'The Snowy Owl' , Cramlington and the 'Gosforth Park Hotel'. Son would ideally like a place with a pool (unlikely!), husband one with a bar, myself one with nice rooms.

Can anyone give me any advice about these places (sister has not stayed in them) or any other recommendations, including b+b?

Second problem is, we would like to be able to arrange a driver and car, for pick up and drop off (any ideas?) as we don't want to drive a hire car in dark unknown countryside and of course we'd like to drink!

Any pros and cons to the above places, and any suggestions of driver/car companies would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bluesteel

1. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 22:50
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

Thanks for the reply - and in less than an hour! Ponteland seems like a good idea, I just wondered if the Diamond Inn might get noisy on Friday and Saturday - it sounds pretty trendy - but a good possibility for me, as I like a little luxury - and some of the wedding guests might like it too, especially the bride's young friends. Got to go and do the school run now, but will check the forum again later. Sleep tight!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

There are not any hotels near Dissington Hall. The Diamond in Ponteland is a pub, expect no more than a B+B, there may be noise associated with this being a pub.

Closest hotels are at the airport..Britannia Hotel and a premier lodge (type of motel with reasonable rates by the room and clean).

My best suggestion is the Holiday Inn at seaton burn, it is sited between Cramlington and Ponteland. And it has a *pool* and a sauna. it is listed on the holiday inn website, and they would probably help to organise transport if requested.

Incidentally, I was at a wedding at nearby Kirkley Hall, we got a taxi there , and the staff at the place gave us taxi numbers to call so we could book a lift..but they advised us to call before 9pm to get a midnight return journey. You may only be 15 miles out of Newcastle but this is quite rural and you will not be flagging taxis on the street!

4. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2007, 08:53
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

Thanks Rules Brittania and Mr. Steve. We have now booked the Holiday Inn near Seaton Burn. The idea of a pool appealed, even if we won't get much time to use it, and it has a licenced restaurant (I think). Since the only other hotel we are staying in which has a pool is in Singapore on the way out - son will be suffering 'pool lag' rather than jet lag! The Snowy Owl suggested by my sister is fully booked, so we can't go there - we didn't realise that it's a bank holiday weekend in the UK, as I don't think it is in Australia. I'm sure we'll cope with the logistics of travelling between Stakeford, Cramlington, Dissington, and Seaton Burn on the wedding day and have a great time.

Thanks again.

Sunderland Tyne...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

Hi,

My wife and I attended a wedding last year at Dissington hall, very nice but as you found out there is very little accommodation in the area. The Diamond inn Ponteland, is a nice pub good room prices serves good pub food with rooms, nice location in the village of ponteland, great for your husband and yourself but not much for your son to do. Taxi ride to the Hall £10, The Snowy Owl (pub with rooms serves food) also Ok but alittle out in the sticks, taxi getting onto £30 plus Gosforth Park Hotel, will tick all your boxes very pricey) also about £30 taxi ride on way.

We stayed at the Travel lodge at Newcastle airport, the lodge is well sound proof and far enough from the air port so the noise wasn't a problem, nice bar restastant and £50 for the room per night inc breakfast, cost us £20 in a taxi to Dissington hall, don't worry about getting back to the lodge lots of taxis around just pre-book it to be sure.

als the Metro Centre (europe's biggest shopping mail) is just down the road another £15-£20 if you fancy some good shopping

Hope it helps & enjoy your weddign and visit to the North East

Ray R

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

with all this travelling around on a bank holiday it maybe with you getting a hire care. Enterprise car rental do some good deals or you may get something at the airport. As its a bank holiday taxi's are usually more expensive and more difficult to book.

Check out the aa routeplanner to give you an idea of distance between each site this will give you a good idea of the roads etc.

www.enterprise.co.uk

www.theaa.com/travelwatch

If you don't fancy all the driving check out the website from the airport which lists all the local hotels near ponteland. You can always get a taxi from the airport.

good luck.

http://www.newcastleairport.com/Airport+Facilities/Airport+Hotels.htm

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

Thanks RB Junr and The Morgansx4.

We have hired a car from Newcastle Airport for the 16 days we'll be in the UK. We'll be travelling between Cramlington area and Leeds every 3or 4 days to share ourselves out between the rellies. The AA guide looks like a good idea for finding places for trips out too - though trying to please a 14yr old and an almost 80yr old could prove interesting! Thanks for the idea.

We've booked the Holiday Inn, Seaton Burn for the 2 nights each side of the Wedding we are attending, but I've seen in another review that "it is looking a bit shabby now". Anyone any comments about this? Or what it's restaurant is like - might we be better off eating out on the Friday night? It's a bit late to change now. Incidentally, for anyone thinking of booking this Holiday Inn we were a bit surprised to find ourselves paying 64pounds for the Friday and 91pounds for the Saturday - a bit of a difference!

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

Bluesteel,

That really is quite a price difference. and way over the top.

The UK is experiencing really bad weather for this time of year....endless days of rain. Everyone is hoping that it changes but its been going on all of June and most of July.

Ive just read the Sunday newspapers and they are full of really good offers for hotels breaks. It seems most people in the UK are sick of the weather and are heading off to Europe.

Have a search on Expedia.co.uk and see what comes up.

If I was travelling between Cramlington and Leeds then York is a must visit with plenty for all ages. On the way to Leeds is the British Armouries maybe of interest. And you will pass Europe's largest shopping Mall "The Metro Centre" which is massive and located just of the A1 about a 20 minute drive from Cramlington (not during rush hour).

Ive been to a number of conferences at the Holiday Inn and each time they have been fine, the service and the venue for the conference were very good. I cannot comment on the rooms themselves. The hotel itself isn't within walking distance to any shops of pubs.

Ive also been to the Snowy Owl for a meal and that was good. Again it isn't within walking distance to any shops or other pubs.

The Morgans are heading in the opposite direction as we are off to OZ in Oct - Nov. ......I'm sure the sun will be shining over there.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
330 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accommodation near Dissington Hall, Northumberland

The Diamond does decent B+B right in the centre of Ponteland village....which has loads of retaurants and a public pool within 2 minutes walk!

Novotel at Kingston Park has a pool and is near to metro to get to Newcastle but is about 15minutes from Dissington.

Probably best hotel is the Horton Grange which 5minutes drive out on the road out of Ponteland towards Stannington [and Cramlington] but again doesn't have a pool and is remote from Ponteland.

Snowy Owl is a theme pub whcih has a Travel Lodge style motel annex nearer Cramlington than rest.

Given the choice I'd go for The Diamond which is a popular pub.

Ponteland Taxis [0]1661 820880 is the nearest local taxi/private hire company.

Dissington Hall is about five minutes drive out of Ponteland towards Stamfordham.

Get answers to your questions about Northumberland