We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with planning / locations and drive times

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
969 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
help with planning / locations and drive times

Hello,

I am just about to book a cottage in Branton (near Ingram) for a short trip to Northumberland in March. I just want to make sure I have chosen the right location for what I want to do and would appreciate your input.

I am planning to drive up to Durham on a Friday (from Nottingham) and spend a few hours there for the cathedral and maye a late lunch. Then I thought to drive on to Hadrians Wall and visit one of the museums (Vindolanda) and walk a couple of hours before staying in a B&B somewhere close.

On Saturday I was thinking about visiting the Beamish working museum in the morning (is it also good for adults or more aimed at kids?) before driving north to the cottage in Branton, where I am planning to stay for 3 nights. I want to visit Lindisfarne, walk up to Dunstanburgh castle, visit Bamburgh castle and Alnwick Gardens as well as the 2nd hand bookshop in Alnwick. And, if time permits, I would like to go mountainbiking in Kielder Forest but I am not sure how far that would be from the cottage and if I will have time to do everything ...

Any advise people have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

I am planning to drive up to Durham on a Friday (from Nottingham)

around 142 mi – about 2 hours 33 mins

Then I thought to drive on to Hadrians Wall and visit one of the museums (Vindolanda) and walk a couple of hours before staying in a B&B somewhere close.

12.9 mi – about 21 mins

Vindolanda to Beamish working museum

7.9 mi – about 17 mins

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

milage and times from Google maps

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

Hi - I think you'll find the driving times that Portsmouthdave has quoted are way under what it will actually take - worth checking the routes and times yourself on googlemaps. Durham to Vindolanda is more like an hour.

I think you are probably trying to squeeze too much in - best check opening times on places like Vindolanda. My inclination would be to do either Beamish Museum of Durham City on the Friday then do Vindolanda on second day on way up to the cottage (or you could do it on your way home?).

The bit in Northumberland itself seems fine. Would be less travel time if you had a cottage slightly closer to Alnwick area but its not a huge problem.

Need to check the tide times for Lindisfarne before you go to decide which day to do it. You can guarantee if you leave it until the last day the tide times won't work out right.

Not got any experience of mountainbiking in Kielder so I'll leave that to someone else

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

thanks everbody. If it all gets to much on Friday / Saturday, I might do Beamish on the way back down to Nottingham, it is closed on Fridays.

Was planning to sya closer to Alnwick but didn't find a cottage I liked as much as the one in Branton.

Tynemouth
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

You will find Beamish deserves more than a morning visit. There is so much to do and see.

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

my Saturday will be pretty flexible, so if Beamish is great I could spend much longer than the morning ;o)

Warkworth, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

You definitely need around 6 hours for Beamish to do it any justice. Entry's not cheap, but very good value for a full day. There is a lot to see and experience, it's not the kind of place you can rush. You'll be pleased you went.

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

Looks like a lot of Beamish will be still closed in March, so cheaper entry but also less to see. will just go and see what is there to do.

G

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

I think its still worth going to Beamish as there is quite a bit to see just in the town area but would only need half a day rather than a full day.

10. Re: help with planning / locations and drive times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 16:24