We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northumberland - eating out?

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Northumberland - eating out?

Hello, any advice would be appreciated please. I am planning to take my husband on a surprise long weekend to Northumberland in late March for 2/3 nights. Neither of us know this part of the country at all. I'd like to stay somewhere pretty but also has a bit going on in terms of a choice of places to eat in the evening within a short stroll rather than having to get back in the car. I'm a vegetarian and like to have a couple of options as I hate goats cheese which sometimes seems to be the only veggie dish available. We'll also be accompanied by our 12 month old son so it'd good to be able to find child friendly venues close to where we are staying. Can anyone suggest a good base for us to stay in? Many thanks,

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

Sorry I can't help with vegetarian advice.

Northumberland is the least densely populated of England's counties- so there's lots of countryside. Good places to stay with access to a choice of local restaurants would be Hexham, Corbridge or Alnwick. Hexham at near 12000 population is the biggest of these. Corbridge and Hexham are great for Hadrians Wall, while Alnwick is the seat of the Percy family- the Duke of Northumberland - and has a good castle (where some of Harry Potter was filmed) to visit, and beautiful gardens. It is also near the beautiful Northumberland Coast.

Morpeth, the county town is nice, but a bit removed from the coast and the wall. I would avoid Blyth and Cramlington- nice enough places but with industrial heritage and not really touristy.

mj6
manchester england
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

you will love northumberland me and my family have been going there for years we always stay in alnwick in either flats or houses

can not comment on vegetrian food in alnwick, but there is a lovely italian called cafe terrino you can not book you just turn up and if it is busy they take your name and you go to the pub next door

my husband in 50 in march and we are going up to alnwick so he can go to that italian

places like alnmouth and warkworth are worth going to and they are next to one another

a bit farther up the coast are craster low newton by the sea which as a lovely pub which over looks the sea

there is also seahouses which as a lovely view of the farne islands and bamburgh castle

bambugh is well worth going to and a visit to the castle is a must i would rather bamburgh to alnwick castle

you will have a great time

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

Hi

Given your criteria I would suggest sticking to the main towns or the larger villages. It depends on what you would like to do while you're here! If being near the coast is more important to you I would suggest looking at Warkworth, Alnmouth, Seahouses, Bamburgh or Berwick. All of which have a good selection of places to eat, although Berwick does have more of a 'towny' feel than the other places. Warkworth has a lovely atmosphere with galleries, shops and pubs/restaurants and is dominated by the Castle, Bamburgh is very similar and was voted the second or third (i forget!) most romantic place in Britain. Alnmouth is a beautiful coastal Village on the mouth of the river Aln with stunning beaches. Seahouses is a fishing port that is a little more commercial, but has some good places to eat.

Further inland I would suggest Corbridge, Hexham Alnwick or Rothbury. Hexham is the County's largest town and is centrally located for Hadrian's Wall while Corbridge has many lovely shops. Alnwick is perhaps my favourite place to visit, the restaurants are very good yournorthumberland.co.uk/area-guides/alnwick…

Rothbury is more of a getaway from it all on the edge of the Northumberland National Park, but it is a buzzing little place with a great restaurant and cafe scene and many art galleries and beautiful walks right on your doorstep.

yournorthumberland.co.uk/area-guides/rothbur…

I'm sure wherever you decide you'll have an amazing time, feel free to ask any questions, I'm happy to help :-)

Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

What great replies! Thanks everyone for your advice, I will have a look at those places. The Italian sounds like my sort of place! I'm really looking forward to exploring the place now. What a lovely bunch you are! :-)

North east
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

Go to the Morwick ice cream dairy near warkworth - you can see the cows that made the cream - check website to see if it's open. If you want a posh meal then head to newcastle and cafe 21 - never disappoints.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

There is the resturant -the tower, Alnwick which also has accommodation above good food but I'm not sure about vegetarian options.

northumberland
Level Contributor
197 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

It all depends on where in Northumberland you are staying, for instance if you are up in Berwick, you really wouldn't want to be travelling down to Morpeth, Hexham etc for an evening meal, can help you more specifically if you know where you are going to be based xxxxx Karen

Alnwick, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

I know that you wanted somewhere walkable, but for vegetarians - The Joiners Arms at Newton on the Moor is really good. We have an 18 month old daughter and they are always very friendly to her.

I can also vouch for that Italian in Alnwick, they do a mean veggie risotto.

Also, Baileys cafe in Alnwick (opposite Iceland) is really good for breakfasts or snacks during the day. They have highchairs and toys for toddlers to play with while parents are eating. They cater well for vegetarians and vegans and even can provide soya milk on request.

Good luck with picking your holiday destination!

Christie

www.northumberlog.blogspot.com

9. Re: Northumberland - eating out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:42
Get answers to your questions about Northumberland