We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days for a Yank in the North

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days for a Yank in the North

I am tacking on 3 nights at the end of a London business trip in June and am interested in NE England. Have been to London , Kent, York and Salisbury before, but never to the NE. Open focus question, but where to base out of and what should I not miss? Is there a town with access to the far NE (Bamburgh?) as well as Hadrian's wall and Durham (definitely want to see Durham cathedral)? Enjoy castles, churches and pubs.....I guess typical American tourist! Any advice appreciated.

Andy

london
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 Days for a Yank in the North

you wouldn't stay in Harrogate to explore Bamburgh or Hadrians Wall !!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 Days for a Yank in the North

Harrogate? One of my favourite places but not for visiting Bamburgh and Hadrians Wall. Wouldn't call the Holiday Inn there cheap and basic either. it's the hotel attached to the International Conference Centre.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 Days for a Yank in the North

Beat me to it cazinatutu!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 Days for a Yank in the North

Just a little tip when searching for car rentals try Newcastle airport as the location, I found it to be a third of the price as renting from the city centre..... Well worth the 20 minute metro ride up to the airport! Ideally I would spend one day in haltwhistle or corbridge for the wall, one day in alnwick for bamburgh and anlwick castle and gardens and a third in Newcastle to explore that city and Durham, but it's a lot to pack in!

Edited: 17 April 2012, 04:11
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 3 Days for a Yank in the North

Bamburgh is a real "must see", the castle and beach are truly awesome (in its proper not American meaning!!). If you want to get a feel for the history of the area and by extension, the UK, head for the nearby Battle of Flodden site/walk at nearby Branxton. I'd also recommend Alnwick and Craster. Enjoy your trip!

northumbria
Level Contributor
194 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 3 Days for a Yank in the North

Andy, you've got some great replies here, our county is so huge and spread out it will take more than 3 days to appreciate it all. As I say, Alnwick for the north to visit castles gardens etc, set off early in the morning on your way back to Durham and spend a good couple od hours at hadrians wall, housesteads fort or vindolanda will give you a good insight into the history and then you can enjoy beautiful Durham at your leisure, have a great time xx karen

17. Re: 3 Days for a Yank in the North

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:41