We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in NorthUmberland

Casa Grande, AZ
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving in NorthUmberland

I'm in the planning stages of a UK Holiday end of August, beging of September. I would like to explore Castles and towns in the NorthUmberland area; Alnwick, Warkworth, Bamburgh, Lindisfarne and south to Durham. Will be taking the train from London to Newcastle. From Newcastle would rent car and tour the area How difficult would it be to adjust to driving on the opposite side of the road in this area of the UK?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in NorthUmberland

Best info on driving is if the passenger is kerb side ok if not panic also look right on roundabouts enjoy that part of country beautiful

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in NorthUmberland

https:/…highway-code

Durham
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in NorthUmberland

Don't miss out Dunstanburgh, Hexham and the Roman Wall. There's not a lot of traffic in rural Northumberland. The centre of Newcastle and the A1 western bypass can be busy. Durham has a park and ride scheme, but not in the evening.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in NorthUmberland

once in the countryside the roads are relatively quiet. i find the change of driving sides easy after a few minutes. you will need to make special request if you want automatic gear car rather than the default of stick shift.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in NorthUmberland

If you want an easy life I recommend hiring a car with sat-nav (or bring your own with maps preloaded). I used to find that a lot of the back roads we used to take weren't on our UK road atlases.

Northumberland is probably one of the nicest parts of England to drive in (because the roads aren't very busy). Durham and Alnwick are a bit busier, of course, but have a lovely holiday.

Casa Grande, AZ
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in NorthUmberland

Thank you all for your tips and suggestion. I'm looking forward to the challange. September can't get here soon enough.

7. Re: Driving in NorthUmberland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2014, 05:19