We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing location June 2014

san francisco
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help choosing location June 2014

Hello experts,

My family of four will be arriving Newcastle June 6 and departing June 16. We are planning to do self catering, preferably in a small village or town near the coast. We will have a car and are interested in castles, Holy Island, walks/hikes and Hadrian's wall. We would love to stay somewhere that has at least a couple of good pubs we can walk to in the evenings. We might do 7 nights one place and move to Hadrian's wall area.

I'm kind of overwhelmed with all of the fabulous choices! Would Alnmouth be a good place for us? Seahouses? Alnwick? Looking for recommendations, please!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

Bamburgh is a small village with its huge castle dominating the skyline. I think this would be a lovely place to stay.

Alnwick is much bigger, a bustling town. Definitely visit, but not sure it is exactly what you are after as a base.

Personally I would avoid Seahouses.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 07:50
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

If you have a car then you can stay virtually anywhere in the area as the roads in Northumberland generally aren't busy so it doesn't take too long to get around.

There are a number of agencies who offer self catering cottages and you can usually search on things like 'near a pub'. A local agency is probably better as their staff are more likely to know the properties and the area well.

Cottages a little way inland are generally cheaper than those right on the beach! If you get to a shortlist then you can ask for opinions here!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

Bamburgh is an excellent suggestion.

Alnwick is a nice town but not what you are looking for. I would pay it a visit though.

Seahouses is a bit too commercial for me.

I always stay at Beadnell and just love it there. It just might be what you are looking for.:-)

san francisco
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check on Bamburgh and Beadnell.

san francisco
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

I'm having a little trouble finding places I like that offer wifi (unfortunately my husband is always tethered to work). But here are a few that look good, especially the house in Warkworth. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

coquetcottages.co.uk/riverside_cottage/index…

www.northumbria-byways.com/viewitem.aspx…

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p801074#map

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g504035…

northumbria-cottages.co.uk/print/spence-lodge

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

Some lovely places - personally I'd go for the first one (Coquet Cottages) or Puffin Cottage as I prefer a very quiet location. Not that any of them are busy but Bamburgh itself gets a lot of visitors.

I didn't check to see if each place has a car parking space. Something to look out for if you are staying in a village.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

Puffin Cottage or Nanny End Cottage.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

I think I agree with Morgana.

san francisco
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

I found one more that has a very good review:

coquetcottages.co.uk/estuary_cottage/index.h…

I'm leaning towards the riverview cottage, mainly for the view from the patio. We love birds and wildlife.

Warkworth vs. Alnmouth?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help choosing location June 2014

No, don't like the one mentioned at 9 as much as the other ones. It's got a nice interior but the location on the 'main' road puts me off. I like peace and quiet, not traffic noise, plus you can see other buildings out of the window on some of the shots.

But it's your decision, not mine!