We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National trust or english heritage membership ?

bristol
Level Contributor
39 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
National trust or english heritage membership ?

I am wondering if the national trust or english heritage is best to join as i am going to northumberland soon .

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

Why not check what properties they manage that you want to visit?

NT tends to be country huoses. ; EH tends to be castles and the like.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

It's cheaper with more flexible membership categories to join the National Trust for Scotland which currently gives free access to ALL English and and therefore Northumberland properties

NT membership and many subscription websites in UK can trap you into continuous annual debit payment so read and beware as follows:-

moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-paym…

English Heritage is an agency of the "environment" civil service.

Fewer locations, ancient and usually ruins.

In Northumberland you would be advised to visit the private Birley family locations of Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum

http://www.vindolanda.com/

Much more welcoming than NT and EH sites with the "helpers".

Edited: 07 April 2014, 22:19
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

Hi,

EH seem to manage (in my opinion) a lot more ruins.

https:/…

NT seem to manage (in my opinion) more whole buildings or countryside

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lindisfarne-castle/

Some ruins owned by NT are in fact managed by EH

Confused still? Join both!!

Bob

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

When we visited Northumberland a few years ago we (hubby and I) joined English Heritage during a visit to Chesters roman fort. Our membership subscription paid for our entrance at Chesters, a visit to Lindisfarne Priory on Holy Island, the barracks at Berwick-on-Tweed and Etal castle.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

I echo post 4. We joined EH when we arrived - I think it was at Warkworth and got a really good deal, much less than advertised prices. They gave us a temporary card which was valid immediately and probably made back most of our money in one week in Northumberland. Also have a look at which organisation has most properties where you live - we frequently use ours locally just for a quick Sunday afternoon out for free.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

Here's a non-answer. A third option. Look at the Historic Houses Association's friends' membership. They are mainly stately homes in private ownership. Alnwick and Bamburgh Castles, for instance.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,808 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

I am a member of both and even if I don't visit many of the attractions I feel I am doing my "bit" to help preserve our heritage and history.

The NT for example own lots of our coastline to stop it being built on and ruined, like at Lands End.

The NT also own much land like Snowdonia, the Lake District and so on, again, helping to keep farms open and stop land being built on.

I consider my £60 or £70 a year for each organization (or whatever a joint membership is) well worth it to know that there are people who are looking after these places. After all, that only comes out just over £1 a week.

I also get a magazine every so often from each organization, plus their booklet of all the places open and the facilities there.

Note also that many places (like Cornwall) have NT car parks, which are free if you are an NT member. This can easily save you £10 or £20 during a holiday.

Take the plunge, join both.

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

In the North East you will find there are more EH properties than NT. It is also cheaper! hope that helps

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

P.s. you also get a discount as EH members to places like Alnwick Castle, Bamburgh, Edinburgh Castle etc. so really worth it

Durham
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National trust or english heritage membership ?

For me NT has the more balanced offer in Northumberland - homes Cragside and Wallington, castles Lindisfarne and Dunstanburgh, plus Housesteads on the Roman Wall. EH is better if you want to see a lot of castles.