We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay ??

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay ??

Hi.. My husband is planning to go to Northumberland on the coming May bank holiday(24-26 May). We are living in London,so we are planing to drive to Northumberland. We are in a dilemma about the length of the stay,As it is far from London so we might be there till 24th afternoon and we have to return on 26th afternoon. So just want to ask is it enough time to see Northumberland ??

If no, then where should we plan to go ??

Thanks in advance.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay ??

What is the draw to Northumberland? My opinion is this isn't enough time, but if we know what makes you want to go there (beaches, castles, empty spaces.......) people may be able to suggest areas nearer to London that may suit.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay ??

No. I was there a week and that wasn't sufficient

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay ??

I've been numerous times, huge county and still only scratched the surface of all there is to see and do.

Why does your husband want to go? If he's desperate to see Bamburgh Castle or Alnwick or somewhere similar then he has the time. If he just wants to see 'Northumberland' in general then he obviously hasn't.

If you just want to head 'oop north' then why not take the train from Kings Cross to York (less than 2 hours, regular service), hire a car and go exploring North Yorkshire. Easy to escape the Bank Holiday crowds in the Moors or the Dales, loads to see and a beautiful part of the country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay ??

Thank you all for your replies. We are going with your opinion guys hence have decided to have at least 1 week in hand and then visit it.

May be we will plan for Cornwall or Yorkshire.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 21:25
5. Re: How long to stay ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:17