We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed please?

birmingham, england
Level Contributor
79 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed please?

My husband and I are spending the week in a cottage near Acklington towards the end of July and will be taking my 80 year old father with us. He's not very mobile and can only walk a short distance, so I'm struggling for ideas of where to take him and hoping some kind TA folks can come up with suggestions. I'm trying to organise hiring a mobility scooter that we can put in the car boot, but I know he'll resist using that. He's happy for us to go off and do some walking providing we can find him somewhere pleasant to site for an hour or two, so he can read and watch the world go by - preferably with a cup of tea and toilet available nearby. Any suggestions would be appreciated please.

1. Re: Help needed please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 21:05
Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed please?

Definitely agree about Barter Books in Alnwick, especially if you dad loves to read. It's an amazing (and huge) second hand book shop but it also has a nice little café (and clean toilets), and also comfortable chairs in the bookshop itself.

http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/

Alnwick has a castle and also the Alnwick Gardens so you could explore these whilst your dad was settled in the bookshop/café.

england
Level Contributor
5,377 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed please?

www.accessibleguide.co.uk/the-guide.html…

birmingham, england
Level Contributor
79 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed please?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I've had a quick look at the Accessible Guide and it has lots of ideas that will be useful not just for our holiday, but when we're back home.

Northumberland UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed please?

Alnwick Garden is a good spot - they provide wheelchairs to access the top part of the garden but if you don't want to use one of these there is plenty to see in the vicinity of the entrance. A short walk from the entrance is the Rose garden and the various water features it is fairly flat, with paved walkways and chairs at intervals along the way. There is also a café with in and outside seating where your father could enjoy the view while you were walking around.

Of the beaches the most accessible is Alnmouth where you can park right next to the beach and walk straight onto it - it does get busy though

birmingham, england
Level Contributor
79 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed please?

Thank you for that. I've managed to reserve a mobility scooter for the day we go to Alnwick Garden, so hopefully he will be able to see plenty using that. We've found lots of places have wheelchairs available, but he's a large man and I'm quite small, so I would struggle pushing him around in a wheelchair.

7. Re: Help needed please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 06:17