We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finances in Haltwhistle

Texan (in...
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Finances in Haltwhistle

I'm planning a trip to Hadrian's Wall next year, and I think Haltwhistle seems like a good base for a 3-day visit. I've been looking on google maps and such and I don't see a bank in town, though. I've read that I need to bring cheques as debit/credit isn't too common, but I doubt the pub will take my American checks, right? So am I stuck with carrying gobs of cash around with me? Is there even a cash machine/aTm in town?

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

I seem to recall a cash machine at the Sainsburys in town. There's bound to be more.

sainsburys.co.uk/sol/…

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

See nearestcashpoint.co.uk/search/cash-points-in…

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

Are you talking about bank cheques or travellers cheques ?

You can usually get cash as well as paying for goods when paying by card in a supermarket like Sainsburys' and obviously the locals manage to get cash from somewhere - we haven't reverted back to medieval barter systems so far as I know

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

Who told you that debit/ credit cards aren't commonly used ? They are entirely wrong.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

What brittraveller said,your entire worry is based on a complete misconception.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
397 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

Throw away whatever you read about bringing checks because other info probably won't be much better. American bank checks are worthless and American Express travelers checks are getting harder to use. ATM cards and Visa or Mastercard cards will work fine.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,289 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

No one here uses travellers' cheques, because everyone has credit cards now, Visa and Mastercard are accepted just about everywhere.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

<< I've read that I need to bring cheques as debit/credit isn't too common,>> completely wrong

<<I doubt the pub will take my American checks,>> completely right

There's a Barclay's bank with an ATM, Sainsbury's has an ATM, the Post Office has an ATM.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,666 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

< I've read that I need to bring cheques as debit/credit isn't too common >

Get rid of whatever it is you are reading as it's 30 years out of date.

Texan (in...
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finances in Haltwhistle

Ha! Sorry if I've offended anyone...I got the advice about bringing the chequebook straight off the National Trails website. It seemed a bit out-dated to me, but then again i've never been more than an hour outside of London. Sounds like Haltwhistle is the winner.

Thanks for all the replies! Maybe stirring the pot DOES get results, afterall.. ;)