We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor

Which Hexham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor

Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to provide me some insight. I've been looking online and can't seem to find quite what I'm looking for. I am hoping to travel from Edinburgh to Hexham to visit part of Hadrian's Wall. I understand there is train and bus sevices to Hexham but where do I go from there? Is it easy enough to walk from the train station to the sites or is there a coach or something that can take you there. And is there a train station in Hexham that I could get to to York from? Sorry for what may seem like some obvious questions!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor

To get to Hexham from Edinburgh you change trains at Newcastle

To get from Hexham to York you have to change trains at Newcastle.

You can book a ticket from Edinburgh to Hexham and another from Hexham to York though if you are doing a day trip you'll probably have luggage.

Unless you want to drag a suitcase around Hexham you'll have to use the left luggage at Newcastle - so you might have to buy separate tickets for Edinburgh to Newcastle, Newcastle to Hexham return and Newcastle to York.

You come out of the station and walk about 1km to reach the centre of Hexham.,though if you are doing it as a day trip you won't have time for Hadrian's Wall which is several miles from Hexham

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor

Edinburgh to Hexham takes about 2 and a half hours by train. Hexham to York is about 2 hours. There's only one station in Hexham.

Hadrian's Wall is about 4 miles distant from Hexham at the nearest point. The best way to get there is using the AD122 bus, which stops outside the railway station. It operates between April and October each year hadrians-wall.org/ResourceManager/Documents/…

The bus will get you to Housesteads Roman Fort in half an hour. Vindolanda is another good site to visit depending on how much time you will have available. Chesters is the nearest fort if you're pushed for time. See http://www.hadrians-wall.org/ for more information about the area.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor

That's great Colin, thank you very much for your help. Will definitely keep all that in mind if my holiday goes ahead.

4. Re: First time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Hexham
Recent Conversations