We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

HI,

I would like to do approx a 4-5 day walk through countryside / nice scenery which is quiet, but where I can stop off at a few good pubs/small villages along the way.

Ideally I could end somewhere with a bit of life to stay the final night or two and get the train back to start work the following week (total 1 weeks' holiday).

I fancy Yorkshire as being quite nice and would appreciate any recommended walks, or elsewhere. I live in London so ideally it would be easily accessible on the train.

Thanks!

Ryedale Folk Museum
Art Galleries, History Museums
Grosmont Railway Station
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Goathland Station
Points of Interest & Landmarks
9 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

By the way, I am looking to walk in October/ November time so it would be good if I can stay ib B&Bs rather than a tent, and I'll need to take into account shorter daylight hours.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

You could walk the Dales Way from Ilkley to Ribblehead or Dent in that time I would imagine. Mosty good low level walking apart from the section across Cam Fell. You can get to Ilkley via Leeds and there are stations at Ribblehead and Dent (the later being a little way from the village). This site is quite useful and makes good reading

www.walkingenglishman.com/dalesway1.htm

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

I'd suggest the Cleveland Way, which circles the North Yourks Moors and then follows the coast from Saltburn to Filey.

The route follows the escarpment for the most part with wonderful views, and pretty villages like Osmotherley and Helmsley, en route.

You could finish in Whitby and get a steam train back over the moors to Pickering.

Lots of options.

The guides and maps and accommodation details are online at the National Trail site.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

I would suggest the Nidderdale Way -

nationaltrails.net/nidderdaleway/nidderdalew…

By train you could start at Ripley (train to Harrogate and then regular bus service to Ripley village, takes about 10 mins max).

www.harrogatebus.co.uk/?subSiteID=12

Then when you have finished you could stay in Harrogate for a night or two to recover (the Turkish baths could be perfect to recover from any aches and pains) or you could get a bus or train to Leeds which is very lively! Or train to York which is a beautiful city.

harrogate.gov.uk/Pages/harrogate-1100.aspx

Then train from Leeds or York back to London.

it would be a very hardy soul who would contemplate a tent in Yorkshire in November so definitely go the B&B route!

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

I am happy to concur with the recommendation of the Nidderdale way I did it myself last winter, 53 miles over 4 days 3 nights- so confirm It works for shorter days. Starting at Ripley, I walked to Pateley Bridge (stayed at the fabulous Harefield Hall hotel www.harefieldhall.com), then on to Middlesmoor ( stayed at the rustic and welcoming Crown Inn- no website), then back to Pateley Bridge on the opposite side of the valley, with the last day to Ripley. The Boars Head Hotel in Ripley www.ripleycastle.co.uk/hotel.html is also a possibility at beginning or end, but it is quite posh and pricey. so Harrogate with many hotels might be a better choice.

The best map for this walk is Ordnance Survey Explorer 298 which covers the whole walk, and has the walk marked. Suggest you buy the "Active" version- which is waterpoof. Also take time out to visit How Stean Gorge and Goyden Pot . You can buy a guidebook for this walk- but for some reason it suggests walking anticlockwise- which means the longest leg (Pateley Bridge to Middlesmoor via Scar House) is also a leg with a net climb. I did it clockwise to avoid this!

The N Y moors are equally spectacular and can be quite desolate as they are sparsely populated. Any section of the Cleveland way is fabulous. Other possible walks include The Samaritan way ( just over 40 miles circuit going through Guisborough). the Seahorse Saunter (A linear 43 miles SW to NE across the moors, The Lyke Wake walk (linear 40 miles NW to mid east Osmotherley to Ravenscar- lthis is a 24 hour challenge walk for summer, but can also be enjoyed over a few days!), or the Tabular Hills way (48 miles linear from Helmsley to Scarborough across the Southern edge of the moors.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

Calderdale Way is another local walk - further south than the others and very varied - not in the Yorkshire Dales National Park but my favourite dale - train connections are excellent too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

Thanks for your posts - some really useful info. I think we'll perhaps do Nidderdale or Calderdale. Harrogate baths sound good!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

The contrast between the industrial valley and moortops in Calderdale make it a very rewarding walk - though there are a few urban sections

These sites will be useful

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/index.aspx

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Calderdale+Way

http://www.thecalderdaleway.co.uk/

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire

I agree with Peterscot. Try to take in the pretty moorland villages along the Esk Valley too. Very picturesque.

Hope you enjoy this beautiful part of England whichever option you take.

Reply to: 4-5 days walking in Yorkshire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North York Moors...
Recent Conversations