We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Hadrian's wall with my dog

Ipswich, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Walking Hadrian's wall with my dog

Hi,

I am hoping to walk the full length of Hadrian’s Wall next year but need some advice about it. I was hoping to take about a week to do it and want to bring my dog along as well (he loves long walks!!)

I have tried finding information online but none of the websites seem to mention if you can take a dog. I would be driving from Ipswich to the start of the walk and then stay at various places as I make my way along the wall. I do not want to camp but realise that having my dog with me will limit my accommodation options. Also I don't know how I would get my car from the start to the end of Hadrian’s Wall either?

Has anyone done this walk with their dog before and if so I would appreciate any advice you could give me please. Also I would want to see some of the sites along the route (artefact museums, ruins, etc) so would 7 days be long enough to do this and walk the entire route? When is the best time of year to do this?

Any help would be brilliant - thank you!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Hadrian's wall with my dog

nationaltrail.co.uk/hadrianswall/text.asp… just says "Always keep your dog under close control."

There shouldn't be a problem taking your dog and you will see other walkers and dogs along the wall. The usual caveats about keeping it under control and on a lead if there are farm animals around. There are stone stiles in places which may present a problem for the dog.

Best time.... possibly May or June when you get long days and the weather is usually good. You will also get the wild flowers then. School holidays can be busier and weather in August can be wetter. September is usually reliable and quieter. We've had some glorious holidays at the end of October and at Christmas and New Year. Snow and ice can be a problem in December, January and February.

The wall does get heavily walked and many of the gateways can get very muddy if there has been a lot of rain. It might make sense to avoid November - March because of this.

Once Brewed Information Centre is a good source of information and may be able to help with ideas for accommodation.

northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/oncebrewed

Failing that try Corrbridge Tourist Information

http://www.thisiscorbridge.co.uk/contact.asp

Haltwhistle Information

visitnortheastengland.com/site/explore/visit…

Brampton Tourist Information

www.golakes.co.uk/thedms.aspx…

You may need to build in extra time for walking depending on how far you have to walk away from the wall to get to your accommodation. Do the sums and work out how far you need to walk between the different ovrnights. 7 -10 days may be needed.

Most of the ruins are along the wall itself (apart from Corbridge and Vindolanda) so can be included as part of your walk.

The best bit of the wall is from Sewingshields to Walltown. This is a glorious roller coaster walk. Allow yourself plenty of time for this section to enjoy it to the full.

2. Re: Walking Hadrian's wall with my dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Northumberland...