We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips to help arrange itinerary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Tips to help arrange itinerary

I am looking at hiring a car at Heathrow and driving up to the Peaks District in mid-late September. Not sure how long I need to fit in everything I would like to do.

I am a keen amateur photographer so taking pictures and wandering cute villages/towns is definitely on my list. I want to visit Lyme Park and Chatsworth. I understand I would need a full day for Chatsworth.

Bakewell seems to be a good place to base myself with a range of accommodation options, and pubs/eateries for dinner.

I am from Melbourne, Australia so want to drive through Melbourne, Derbyshire on my way! From the Peaks District, I will head to visit friends in Sunderland.

- How many nights would you suggest?

- Is staying in Bakewell a good idea, or is there anywhere else you would recommend I stay?

- Are there any particularly picturesque places I should visit or attractions in the area you recommend?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
566 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips to help arrange itinerary

Hi Kate - Bakewell would be a good choice as a base; it's reasonably central and close to both Chatsworth and Haddon Halls. Whilst there you absolutely must try the authentic Bakewell pudding (note: NOT tart). Not very far away is Cromford, with its industrial history (the site of the first water-powered cotton spinning mill). I always recommend visitors to make the short journey from Bakewell to Ashford-in-the-Water, one of the very prettiest of all the Peak District villages; however, this is just one of many. Try Winster, Tideswell, Cressbrook and Eyam (the plague village). If you're going from Bakewell to Lyme Park you'll pass through Buxton, which is well worth an afternoon's exploration. The old spa buildings are slowly being restored, and there's some impressive architecture and lovely gardens to enjoy.

You won't go far wrong by just following your nose in the Peak District; it's one of my favourite 'days out' areas.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips to help arrange itinerary

You will certainly find Melbourne in Derbyshire totally different to Melbourne in Australia ! However, don't let that stop you going there as the older parts are very photogenic.

With regard to the Peak District, FawltyTowersWatch has given you some good advice, but you might also want to try the area around Castleton/Edale and also Ladybower / Derwent / Howden Reservoirs which is Derbyshire's aequivalent of the Lake District. The scenery up there is quite different to the southern parts of the Peak.

In answer to your other questions:

You will need at least 5 days and 4 nights to do all this properly - try:

Day 1 - Melbourne, then via Ashbourne to Bakewell

Day 2 - Chatsworth (and Edensor village which is nearby)

Day 3 - Buxton and Lyme Hall (returning via Tideswell)

Day 4 - Eyam, Castleton and Ladybower

Day 5 - on to Sunderland (join the M1 at Chesterfield)

If you are staying in Bakewell, Ashford-in-the-Water can be easily fitted into Days 2, 3 or 4 as well.

Accomodation in Bakewell is OK and most of the B&B's get excellent reviews. However, reviews of the Hotels are more varied and so if this is what you are after, you might want to extend your search to include Baslow or Buxton.

Hope this helps.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips to help arrange itinerary

If you took your bags with you on day 4 you would be 20 miles towards Sunderland, then stay on the way and and save time on day 5.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips to help arrange itinerary

Thanks all! Great advice. I won't have as much as 5 days to spend, but you have convinced me to increase my 2 nights to 3.

PS. Hi FTW! Good to see you again - and thanks for helping me this time.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips to help arrange itinerary

Melbourne is a nice small town. Melbourne Hall and gardens are worth a visit if open. You will probably then take the A50 and A515 to Ashbourne. Dovedale is picturesque though popular but a very short detour from the main road. I agree with all the places suggested by others and Bakewell is probably a good place to base yourself. You may even find a village which has its well dressing, which is an added extra. Take a look at the well dressing calender as most are earlier in the year. Chatsworth will certainly take a full day if you want to appreciate the whole place and lovely gardens.

I also know Sunderland well. Some things to look out for there are the the Glass Centre, Roker and Seaburn beaches and a walk along to the quaint fishermen's cottages at Whitburn. Further along the coast is Marsden Grotto. Then of course there is the lovely Northumberland coast and Holy Island is a favourite of mine. Hope you enjoy the whole trip.

6. Re: Tips to help arrange itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 07:15