We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

Hello everyone,

Hoping to head up from London for an overnight stay in the Peak District. Unsure where to stay!!

Looking for: rural, scenic, countryside, village

a variety of pubs within walking distance

Nice, cheap b&b,(perhaps above a pub!!)

Close/bus ride to some scenery, lookouts, ruins, easy walks etc

Ive looked over the forum and have narrowed it down to the following - but am very much open to advice and suggestions!!

Castleton

Matlock

Bakewell

We haven't decided on whether we are driving or getting the train....

Many thanks!!!

:)

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

I'd go for Castleton but the nearest railway station is at Hope, a few miles away. There are the caverns (Devil's Ar*e and so forth) and Peverill Castle and lots of open air. And pubs including the Castle.

Matlock is a sort of seaside resort - no sea though - with the Heights of Abraham and weekend gatherings of bikers.

Bakewell is a bit of a tourist place now. Edinburgh Woollen Mills and so forth. It's nice by the river and the pubs are reasonable.

The other obvious place is Hathersage which has a railway station -a short walk from town.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

I would second Hathersage as a suggestion - There are trains every hour to Sheffield & Manchester and buses every hour to Castleton (plus a few to Bakewell as well).

However if you decide to stay in Castleton, you can get a bus to there every hour from Sheffield bus station (which is opposite the rail station).

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 08 February 2012, 21:28
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

Ah brilliant, thanks so much for getting back to me guys.

I def want to avoid anything too touristy, so Im pretty sold on Castleton, but it looks like i may have left it too late to get accommodation! oops! Plus it is mostly two night stays only, although Id happily stay longer, my bf's work arent too flexible!

Im going to have a look at Hathersage now to see if there are any places to stay.

Thanks again!

:)

Ellie

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

Well, actually Castleton, lovely though it is, is really rather touristy, so perhaps you have been 'spared' that - with a degree of serendipity!!

There are other lovely villages, but as to whether you can get to them by public transport or no, then Phil-the-bus is really the expert on that!

I have in the past tried to help people with Peak District buses, but have to say I am usually wrong! P-t-b has always been along to save the day though, and post correct info. So as a bus 'numpty' I'm afraid I have given up!! Rejoice!

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

I may know about buses but my knowledge as to drinking / easting out and touristing is very limited - which is where everyone else comes in !

Seriously though, Hathersage is by far the best of the places listed as all the other places have several downsides:

- Castleton - no rail station and a bit touristy.

- Matlock Bath - very touristy and a bit limited in direct bus routes.

- Matlock Town - just an ordinary Derbyshire town so fine for pubs but not much else !

- Bakewell - no train station so a pain to get to by public transport from London !

If you can't find anywhere suitable in Hathersage, I would suggest that you try Bakewell and I will give you some suggestions as to how to get there.

Phil-the-Bus

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

OK I have had a look at the rail map on the National Rail website and here are some places on there that you could consider staying that are served by rail. I make no 'effort' at all in deciding how easy any of them are to get to from London, but some are a helluvalot much easier from London than others!!

Chesterfield (a bit 'dull' but a good bus 'hub' with the famous Brampton Mile for pubs and the 'twisted spire' on the cathedral church)

Belper (actually,this is a very nice town IMO!)

Cromford (home of Arkwrights MIll and kick-off point for a few good walks, also the Tram Museum)

Matlock Bath (it's like the seaside, but it's inland, bizarre but kind-of good at the same time!)

Matlock (sizeable town with lots of stone buildings, pretty much the 'centre of the peaks)

Uttoxeter (edge of the peaks and good for Horse Racing, if you like that!

Hathersage (burial place of Little John - apparently and good place for striking off onto the Pennine Way)

Hope - live in

Edale - at the very start of the Pennine way

Whaley Bridge, Chapel-en-le-frith & Buxton, - all good but on a Hellish branch line to get to from London!

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

I live in Matlock. Personally, though it's very well located as a base for walks of all varietys, the pubs are mostly average and occasionally dire. Matlock itself is a small town rooted in the 80s. It's pretty (ish) - though I'm not sure what the poster who said it was "like the seaside" was going on about as that's Matlock Bath, not Matlock (they are seperated by a couple of miles). - though for pub or restaurant based activities I would look elsewhere. Good pubs in the area (nice fires, good beer, good good, no feeling of being in deliverance) include The Devonshire Arms at Beeley (expensive and a little hit and miss but does a good b and b), The Nettle just outside Ashover (great food and little bit of b and b), The Barley Mow at Bonsall (what a weird place this is!! It's like being no-where else on earth. Good beer, tiny pub, rumours of alien abductions, regular half decent music, and on my last time there I was accused of being "an ffffing copper" by probably the most foul mouthed bar maid in the universe. Still, there is hippy art work outside, the inside brings back "American Werewolf in London" thoughts, and it hosts the "world hen racing championships", it's fun.

Matlock Bath itself is really worth a trip to. It's bizarre. Like Scarborough meets Switzerland. But the residents are a bohemian bunch and it's a nice place to chill out (choose the Princess Victoria or The (newly refurbished) Fishpond) when the tourists are all gone. And DON'T MISS without any question whatsoever, Scarthin Books in Cromford. It's easily the worlds best bookshop in a lovely situation and with a decent veggie cafe.

In all, possibly find a good pub which does rooms rather than Castleton or Matlock. Oh, and don't get suckered into thinking Bakewell is the be all and end all of the peaks, the smaller villages usually have more to offer in terms of the "real" Peak District.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

NO-ONE has said that Matlock is like the seaside, in fact - suggest you look again MIH!

To get back to the topic otherwise, here are a couple of pubs that do B & B you might like to consider:

http://www.bentleybrookinn.co.uk/

http://www.yew-tree-inn.co.uk/

They are both nearer to Ashbourne, which has not been mentioned as an option to stay, it is more on the 'edge' of the Peaks but still a nice town, and the countryside around there is lovely, so worth considering.

Not sure how you would get to either of them by public transport, but maybe the websites have details. Failing that, you can just ring the landlords up and ask them!!

9. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 23:06
Edited: 16 April 2014, 23:06
Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Castleton or Matlock....Weekend break with pubs!

Oh whooops all round!!

Seems like the Bentley Brook has not been 'improved' by it's improvements! Used to be a nice place to go for a pint once upon a time, but sounds like you'd better avoid englefi!