We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

My mother and I plan to be in the Peak District the nights of May 1 & 2, 2014. We'd like to find a B&B or inn within easy driving distance of Chatsworth House and would appreciate any recommendations.

Also, are we likely to have any problems booking for Thurs/Fri. nights as this is the beginning of the early May Bank Holiday? We hope to drive to North Wales on Sat., May 3 to avoid Friday's holiday traffic. Does this sound like a good plan?

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

I should add that we'd like to keep our budget to £100 or less per night.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

Hello,

Accommodation within your budget for a twin room (?) B&B might be found.

Rates for May 2014 might not yet be available in some houses.

Bakewell and Baslow for access are obvious adjacent locations to research.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g209968-c2-Bakewell…

For price comparison we suggest you could look at the following:-

innkeeperslodge.com/hathersage-peak-district…

wolseylodges.com/B&B/…

http://www.devonshirebeeley.co.uk/tariff.cfm

http://www.fischers-baslowhall.co.uk/

An attempt to avoid Friday afternoon BH traffic is a good idea.

Regards

Edited: 06 October 2013, 19:54
Essex
Level Contributor
27,991 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

premierinn.com/en/…chesterfield-west

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

I've looked at those links - several of them look quite appealing! Thanks for your affirmation of our plan, Hodder - we're certainly hoping that's the case with regard to the traffic.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

CoGal - I can't add to the accommodation suggestions, but wanted to mention that as Chatsworth doesn't open until 11am that could influence your choice.

If you do stay close by and have time Ashford in the Water is a pretty village just outside Bakewell or there are various scenic trails in the local dales.

Your plan to avoid the worst of the holiday traffic sounds sensible. I should guess the smaller places & perhaps those on the Chatsworth estate (the two Devonshire Arms) are most likely to be booked up first.

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

Thanks Cheshireresident! I hadn't realized Chatsworth opens that late, but that gives us a bit of time to enjoy other things in the morning and then spend the rest of the day at Chatsworth. Sounds like a perfect day for me and my mom. I've actually emailed the Devonshire Arms in Pilsley as well as Holly Cottage in Pilsley, both of which are on the estate. I'll have a look at the AA or ViaMichelin maps to see how close these are to Ashford in the Water.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

CoGal if you stay in Pilsley you could pop in to the Chatsworth Farm Shop (9-6 Mon-Sat + Sun):

http://www.chatsworth.org/farmshop

One of those places where you can get very tempted; though you could break the bank if you do;-). I'd recommend it if you have the chance (perhaps a pie or something to take with you for lunch on the day you leave....).

Pilsley to Ashford is less than 5 miles - wrong direction for the House, though.

I usually suggest visiting a well dressing when in Derbyshire, but your visit is probably too early. It may be worth checking the 2014 calendar when it's out. There are photos on that site so you can see what they are:

http://www.welldressing.com/photo.php

Frisco, Colorado
Level Contributor
553 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

I would love to see a well-dressing, although I'd assumed we'd just be too early. It's worth checking, though, so I will. It sounds such a classic Derbyshire thing to do.

As for the Farm Shop - I did see when on the Holly Cottage website that it was just nearby. Sounds wonderful. What's a vacation for if not to be tempted? :-)

We are very excited about spending time in the Peak District. I only wish we had more time to spend!

9. Re: Visiting Peak District in Early May - B&B, timing questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 05:17