We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip around Peak District

Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Topic
Day trip around Peak District

Hello

Aside from the one day dedicated to Chatsworth House, can anyone recommend a day trip around the other must-sees? We'd prefer free and open places, mainly to take in the area's scenery. We will be driving, and we have one wheelchair in tow.

Thanks very much.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip around Peak District

Are you staying in the Peak District ? If so which part ?

If it is dramatic scenery you are after, then probably the Castleton, Hathersage and Ladybower/Derwent Reservoir area is worth looking at.

P-t-B

Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip around Peak District

Thanks P-t-B. We'll be in Brushfield. I'll look at the places you suggested.

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip around Peak District

Take a copy of the White Peak driving route at the bottom of our Tripadvisor reviews page at www.oldshoulderofmutton.co.uk A wonderful ride taking in the best bits of the White Peak - Dovedale, Ilam and the Manifold Valley.

4. Re: Day trip around Peak District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 11:35
England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip around Peak District

Sorry Elaine - I forgot that we had been through your accomodation arrangements in a previous post.

One place that is worth looking at that will be close to you is Monsal Head which has a spectacular view over Monsal Dale - see …typepad.com/.a/6a0111685b0529970c0133f4de5c… . You can find it on Google Maps at http://goo.gl/maps/1FuFm .

If you are in a car, another scenic area to look at is the Roaches, off the A53 south of Buxton. However sadly this is not an area suitable for pushing a wheelchair round.

P-t-B

Edited: 19 April 2014, 11:30
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip around Peak District

If you are going to be near Buxton you could head up to the Goyt Valley, above which is a car park designated for disabled & a wheelchair friendly track along the old Cromford railway line which affords great views over the valley & surrounding hills

peakdistrict.gov.uk/__data/…goytleaflet.pdf

See the map on page three which show the CP at Goyts Lane & the track.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 12:37
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip around Peak District

That's great. The suggested places look wonderful. We'll work on the day's itinerary. Thanks.

Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip around Peak District

Hello, how does this look as a driving day trip in Peak District?

https://goo.gl/maps/LS5MX

We're looking to do a relaxing trip, see the gorgeous scenery, and maybe some place to stop for lunch.

England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip around Peak District

Very good, although I would suggest that you take a look at the road from Dove Holes to Coombs on Google Streetview as it is very narrow in places and not well maintained.

May I suggest the following modification: http://goo.gl/maps/sJpfA

Would I be right in assuming that you will be visitng Monsal Head and Chatsworth on another day ?

Phil G.

Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip around Peak District

Thank you Phil-the-bus! I realized I'd missed the Derwent Reservoir in my original map. Thanks for adding it in. Should we make the slight detour to Combs and High Peak? Or just head straight to Buxton?

I wonder if there would be specific places to stop along the way? Or is it okay to just park on the side of the road if it's a clear open space?

Do you think we'll be able to see Monsal Head and Chatsworth on the same day? I just read about the Monsal trail yesterday. Is Hassop Station Cafe a good place for a light dinner? I imagine we could see Chatsworth for almost the whole day, go to Monsal in the late afternoon, and have a dinner before heading back to Brushfield.