We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

My wife and I are going to the Tintwistle (near Glossop) for a 3 night break from the 18th of Aug. We've got a car so we can get around a bit, but won't be able to do any serious walking (short-ish / not too steep walks are in though). Everything I've found (except hard looking walks) is in the southern part of the peak district.

Can anyone advise me on some nice easy walk or even nice scenic drives, sweet little villages, events or anything worth seeing vaguely around where we'll be?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

Great Hucklow and Taddington have got well dressings. Buxton is a fine town, Bakewell a smaller one. Chatsworth and Haddon Hall are good.

Please and thank you are even better.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,978 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

Tintwistle is in Longdendale so there's the Longdendale Trail (former railway line, now for walkers, cyclists and horse riders) on the opposite side running by the reservoirs, so relatively flat. I've not found a straightforward online link but these may help - they're mostly for the full distance or are circular, but you can always turn back:

gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinks…

walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_b/1703/

theaa.com/walks/manchesters-bit-of-derbyshir…

…parcomweb.net/glossopandlongdendale.htm

Further into the Peaks, but still in the northern (Dark Peak) area are the Ladybower Reservoirs (also known for associations with the Dambusters). It's highly rated by Trip Advisor reviewers and a scenic spot:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g499572-…

Again there are numerous routes you could tailor to suit:

…parcomweb.net/ladybowerwalk.htm

nationaltrust.org.uk/article-1356404627173/

I see David Blades has already mentioned well dressings - the calendar has map links:

http://www.welldressing.com/calendar.php

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

There's a nice walk around Dove Stone Reservoir, which isn't too far away:

visitoldham.com/xsdbimgs/…20Walks.pdf

Or from nearby Greenfield, it's a two or three-mile walk along the Huddersfield Narrow Canal to Diggle, with coffee stops along the route. On the way, you can stop to explore villages like Uppermill and Dobcross:

visitoldham.com/xsdbimgs/…20Trail.pdf

visitoldham.com/xsdbimgs/Dobcross%20Trail.pdf

At Diggle the canal runs into the longest – and highest – canal tunnel in the country, the Standedge Tunnel, 3¼ miles long. If your interest is piqued, you can drive to the other end, at Marsden, where there's a visitor centre about the tunnel's history, and even the chance to take a guided boat trip into it:

penninewaterways.co.uk/huddersfield/standedg…

Edited: 31 July 2014, 20:46
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

I have not tried it myself, but this walk at New Mills might also be worth considering: …parcomweb.net/newmillswalk.htm .

P-t-B

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

Thank you so much! great ideas. Definitely going to have a look at the reservoir walks. Dovestone looks very nice. Thanks again for your contributions!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

You could take a tour of the Blue John caves near Castleton

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

Drive over the Woodhead Road to Langsett and either walk round the reservoir or just do part of the walk. Car parking is free but at weekends the car park gets full early on.

8. Re: Things to around the northern end of the Peak District?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Peak District National...