We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

Which Nottingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

I'm accompanying my husband on a business trip to Nottingham and besides shopping :) would like to do something more enriching. As my husband will be busy all day these tours or trips would have to be from 9-10ish to 5-6pm. Any must-see tours or things to do in the Nottingham area or close by? We may be staying in Derby about 20min away by car.

I am a decent traveller and have been to London many times - very familiar with the tube, cabs, buses etc. Though not in a few years. How safe is it for me to travel on public transportation and walk on my own? Are there places i should avoid or things to keep an eye on?

Thanks.

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
370 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

Hello leeloodanko and welcome to the Nottingham Forum.

I am sure that you will get some great advice on things to do in this area! In the daytime you can be very confident that walking around our cities will be safe and you will not need to worry about "bad areas". There are some of these in every city around the world but in the East Midlands they are not where tourists will generally go. You do not say when you will be here...that does make a difference to what you can do. For example Chatsworth House which you would definitely find enriching is an easy day trip from Derby and would be a wonderful day out is now closed until March 11th. Public transport is very good in this area, and from Derby particularly so as it has historically been a major train junction. Birmingham is under an hour away by train and has many cultural "things to do" in the city centre. Around Derby, there is Kedleston Hall, Calke Abbey and a number of other stately homes...but again you will need to check on winter opening hours, and Calke ( which I love) may be slightly tricky by public transport; Kedleston would be accessible by taxi as it is not too far.

Derby itself (imo) is not the most exciting place although it does have a great new shopping centre ( Westfield) which the shoppers in my family prefer to Nottingham. Also tours around the Peak District national park may be possible with an organised group....it is beautiful.

Nottingham is just half an hour away on the train... a day in Nottingham could, as well as shopping, include the Castle, the Galleries of Justice as well as a pleasant lunch in one of our many eateries!If you like the theatre Nottingham has a vibrant theatre scene and there are often performances in the afternoon if you pick the right day.

So, not sure if any of these will ring any bells for you. If so let us have a bit more information on likes and dislikes

Hope this helps with your planning,

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
370 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

Just one other thing....if your husband is working in Nottingham , if you have any flexibility staying in Nottingham will offer much more flexibility than Derby in terms of things to do, and access. So you might want to revisit that if that is the case.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

That's a very comprehensive and helpful answer RobinHood1! Thank you so much.

unfortunately the place of stay has been booked by his company so we are unable to make changes. It might be a whole different hotel too as my husband swears they mentioned that it was right in town centre itself - but we haven't got the details (it's complicated!). The trip is in early Feb but i like to be well prepared beforehand.

His colleagues will be in town and locals but i do not want to burden them and rather like exploring on my own :) i will look into your suggestions and plan accordingly. Thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

From Nottingham You can reach Newstead Abbey by bus I think - yes you take the 'Pronto' bus from Nottingham Centre to Mansfield, it stops at Newstead Abbey Gates:

http://www.newsteadabbey.org.uk/

http://www.prontobus.co.uk/

Pronto also goes further on to Chesterfield, and en-route Mansfield is a now pleasant market town that is worth a half a day of a 'look'. Chesterfield has a Cathederal Church (St Mary's Church) with a twisted spire that is famous and worth seeing, the market place there is also rather nice, IMO, but the town otherwise is a bit dull.

Bus 100 (Pathfinder Route) goes from Nottingham City Centre to Southwell - where you will find a beautiful small Minster to visit and admire (the stone carving there is some of the best you will ever see). Southwell also has a small racecourse which has a very friendly vibe - if a day watching horses run around and jump over things is your sort of thing:

http://www.nctx.co.uk/Buses/100/

http://www.southwellminster.org/

http://www.southwell-racecourse.co.uk/

Several buses (30, 35, 35A, 36, 36A) from Nottingham City Centre to Wollaton Park - where you can visit the amazing Wollaton Hall, there is also an Industrial Museum in the Park:

http://www.wollatonhall.org.uk/

Nottingham
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

Lots of good suggestions already on places to visit - it would also be worth considering the Transpeak bus service if you want to explore the Derbyshire Peak District

www.trentbarton.co.uk/services/transpeak

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

There are direct trains from Nottingham or Derby to Sheffield. A pleasant city with the Millennium Galleries and Winter Garden in the centre. Two, modest, cathedrals and if you are into shopping, the Meadowhall Centre a short tram ride away.

Pointless fact - the Petronas Tower in KL is clad in stainless steel from Sheffield

Edited: 30 December 2011, 22:35
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

Finally, if you are staying in the centre of Derby, don't drive to Nottingham, the "Red Arrow" coach instead (it runs every 10 minutes).

Phil-the-Bus

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

We're now staying at the Britannia so at least it is central. Even though the reviews on TA aren't great but we're going to evaluate it when we get there. It's already booked so is unchangeable for now. At the very least it's central :D

Thanks very much for all your help. I think I'll have fun exploring Nottingham in February.

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
355 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

Yes - The Britannia Hotel is central and on Maid Marion Way. It wouldn't be a hotel I would recommend however, it should do the job and it's a great location.

Behind the Hotel you can visit Nottm Castle, The Old School House and Mortimers Caves. The castle has a great nuseum and lovely gardens to get away from it, nice for a bit of lunch. There is also the' Ole Trip to Jeruselum - one of the olderst pubs, set into the rocks of the castle.

In Nottingham you can also go shopping in the Victoria Centre or Broadmarsh, Broadmarsh has caves you go down into and walk around. In and around the Old Market Square (straight across the street from the hotel) is also good for shopping. There is also the modern art gallery near Broadmarsh shopping centre. The Galleries of Justice is nearby too.

Have a good time!

Liz

10. Re: Things to do on own in Nottingham & vicinity - female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Nottingham