We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

Hi, my daughter and 2 friends are flying to East Midlands on a Saturday then going to university park campus -

1. would the 3 of them be best getting a taxi, rather than hassle of 2 buses?

2. they would like to go shopping in the afternoon, where would best bus stop be in city centre?

3. Also, they have it in their heads that they would like to see sherwood forest! - is that going to be out of the question?

Advice much appreciated.

many thanks

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

Youi don't need two buses - the Indigo service from the airport goes via the Park campus - see:-

nottingham.ac.uk/about/datesandcampusinforma…

There are plenty of buses to Nottingham town centre and you casn alght at the central market square from where Broadmarsh and Victoria shopping centres are with walking distance.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,752 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

Sherwood Forest is not quite the big, wooded area that they might imagine. It never was but there is even less now. Personally I wouldn't bother but stick to shopping. There are some individual shops, like Paul Smith, around High and Low Pavement and the Market Square and the big chains in the Victoria Centre. Not much, I think, in Broadmarsh.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

many thanks, this has been very helpful and much easier than I thought.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

thanks David, slightly disappointing but not that surprising. good shopping tips which sound like a much better prospect!

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
389 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

Hello blobby 33,

Just a couple of small additions...logistics to Sherwood forest are very difficult from the University. Without a car it is quite challenging!

The campus is big and getting around it should not be underestimated. If they are coming for an open day the University usually has buses that run people around the campus...and possibly even into town.

few of the buses actually go to the Market Square from the west side of the city going in. Depending on which one they catch and from which gate of the University ( there are three!) they will probably end up either at the Victoria Centre, or on Maid Marion Way where they can walk to the shops or at the Broadmarsh Bus Station.....the Indigo, previously mentioned goes into the Broadmarsh...however the Indigo is a service with multi destinations so going back to the airport the girls need to make sure they get on the right one or catch the Skylink bus, which is much quicker.

There are plenty of shops in all the locations mentioned including the Broadmarsh but the interior part of that is currently undergoing some refurbishment, but the area just outside is full of major stores.

Hope they have a good day.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 14:10
Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
389 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

I should have said that a taxi is quick and convenient....would take about 15 minutes on a Saturday and cost about £25. The Indigo will be 45 minutes to an hour by the time it has wound its way around Long Eaton, Chilwell and Beeston!

( much cheaper though of course!)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
163 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

As RobinHood1 has said the bus could be slow on the route it takes, and if time is short, and there are 3 people a taxi may be a better option. You could ring Trent Cars on 0115 9505050 and ask them for a quote for the journey. If you tell them the flight number and arrival time then they should be able to arrange for a taxi to be waiting. Usually quite reliable in my experience - a few years ago I rang from Crete to book a cab and they were waiting when we got back to the UK !

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

checked it out robinhood and getting return taxi to lincoln hall for £46. between 3 this is great so booked it. many thanks. saves hassle too and my nerves as they haven't been away on their own before!

9. Re: East Midlands - university park campus to nottingham centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:41
Get answers to your questions about Nottingham
Recent Conversations