We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best areas within walking distance to train station?

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best areas within walking distance to train station?

Hi,

I am looking for nice/ok areas in Nottingham city centre- must be near to the train station as I need to travel to work in Sheffield on shifts for the next 12 months. My partner works in Nottingham city centre.

The tram doesn't run early enough to get me to my train on time for a 7am start in Sheffield so a bit limited on distance really.

Can anybody tell me what the Lace Market area is like? We are a couple in our twenties so not adverse to a night out but don't want to be kept up all night by students or people partying if I can help it!

Also what about Carlton Street, as I know this is near the city centre but not sure if its a bit dodgy or not?

I am a woman and will be travelling to the station to and from these areas at unsociable hours and I don't want to feel/be unsafe!

Can anybody recommend any other areas? It doesn't help that we are a little picky and looking for an area with a bit of character- not the usual modern beige tiny apartments!

Thanks!!

Wollaton Hall and Park
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Natural History Museums, Parks
Nottingham trams
Mass Transportation Systems
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,370 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

Just a thought - as you work shifts, why not live in Sheffield and your partner do the commute?

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

Thanks, we live in Sheffield at the moment, have decided to relocate to Nottingham now for a mixture of reasons - including to be closer to family members as well.

My partner will also be working much longer hours than me, so I have said I will move and travel as I am on a placement and will get a job nearer when that is finished.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 14:28
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,370 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

OK I see, it makes sense now.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

It all depends on your budget. The best area for you is ' The Park'. This is a private estate adjacent to Nottingham Castle. it used to be part of the castle grounds. It's one of the most prestige areas in Nottingham AND it's in the city centre. You would be able to safely walk to the train station and bus station from here plus it's a 10 minute walk into heart of the city. Hope this helps.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,636 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

I wondered about being half way at, say, Langley Mill. The nice city centre areas are a bit pricey (assuming you are renting). I realise that your partner would have a trip too but your awfully early start (05.20 from Nottingham?) would be just a little bit later.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

Another vote for the Park. It is pricey, but a number of the large houses have been divided into flats so there may be something within budget.

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
384 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

Hello there, well lots of people suggesting the Park and not answering your question! The Lace Market is close to the station and the bus station and is an easy walk. There is lots of nightlife in that area at the weekend but not all areas or developments are noisy and unpleasant. You would need to choose well but I think it would be a little closer than living in the Park area and a lot less expensive. You would be about 10 minutes walk from the station at that very early hour! Not sure what you are looking for but there are also some apartment developments close to the canal and those are even nearer to the station. I think you may find this thread being closed soon by TripAdvisor as it is not really a travel related question, so if they do and you still have some questions feel free to send me a direct message.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
163 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

I would go with RobinHood1 on the suggestion of looking at the Lace Market - there is plenty of choice in that part of the city. There are apartments opposite St Marys Church at Commerce Square, on High Pavement which look good from the outside and are not too close to the liveliest weekend bars

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
450 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

Hello

I would, personally, be worried about walking to the station at 5am on my own in the winter. I'm sure you've been to Nottingham, but in case you haven't, the area around the station isn't the nicest. Shame that the early train to Sheffield from Nottingham doesn't stop at one of the suburbs. I would second what others have said about the Lace Market. Do pick well though. My friend lived in an apartment in the Lace Market and was constantly being woken by the fire alarm being set off in the middle of the night.

the bottom end of The Park (near to Fish Pond Drive) is a close walk to the Station as it is just off Castle Boulevard. I used to live on Lenton Road in the Park and you can either cut through onto Castle Boulevard and walk that way, or walk up through the Park to the Castle and then down through the Centre to the station. The Park is a nice area (not all parts though), but it is very dark and it can be quite a lonely place to walk in.

If you wanted to live a little further out of the centre, Castle Marina has lots of apartments and is around a 1½ - 2 mile walk to the station. West Bridgford also has areas within walking distance, but avoid The Meadows area if you're walking anywhere alone.

Perhaps you could invest in a fold-up bike for the early mornings?

I hope you sort something out.

J x

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
450 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best areas within walking distance to train station?

Hello

Sorry about the second post, I posted the last one too early and then missed the time to edit it.

Carlton Street is very busy. It is the main road down to Hockley and the Ice Arena. There are lots of bars and restaurants on there and i can imagine it would be very noisy at night. Have a look at Google Maps and do a Street Walk around, you may get an idea of how busy the areas that you are looking at are.

Perhaps, if you can, come and stay in Nottingham for a night or 2. Get up early and walk around to get a feel for what it will be like on your walk to the station. Walk down there and see how you feel. Bear in mind that the dark will add a whole new dimension to the journey in the winter though.

I hope you sort something out. Please feel free to message me if you need any info.

J x

Get answers to your questions about Nottingham
Recent Conversations