We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

Which Nottingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

We have booked a week with Canaltime at Sawley Marina in June 2013. We fly into London Heathrow two days ahead of time and are wondering if anyone has suggestions for getting to Sawley and provisioning the boat. Right now, I am thinking of spending the night in London (our flight arrives fairly late) and the next day taking the train to Nottingham. We would then spend the night there and the next day make our way to Sawley. Does anyone have suggestions for a quaint B&B or small independent hotel in which to stay in Nottingham? Where would be the best place to shop for boat provisions? What is the best way to get from Nottingham to Sawley (and the grocery store to get provisions)? I believe I read somewhere that you should have your provisions with you the day you check in for the boat. Does that sound correct? Does anyone know what time we should arrive at Sawley Marina to check in? Thanks for any and all suggestions regarding this trip.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

Aardvark ought to be along to give you more specific details but you can get from London to Sawley by train. Ask Canaltime and they will almost certainly get basic provisions for you.

Don't know about Canaltime but normally it is early afternoon before boats are ready.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from Aardvark. We would be more than happy to eat our lunches and dinners in local pubs, but just not sure how many there will be and what the operating hours will be.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

There will be lots of pubs, don't worry. Those are Aardvark's cruising waters rather than mine so he will be able to give up to date information on the best pubs etc.'

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

Hi.

First of all, if you haven't already done so, you should carefully look at their website and any documentation you may have had from Canaltime.

www.canaltime.com/narrowboats/nb_marinas.html

They do seem to have quite strict rules about arrival times at the marina.

Now I wonder why you are going to Nottingham. Do you have any particular reason to go there? Although Canaltime say that Sawley Marina is "just outside Nottingham", it actually is not. It's about ten miles away, and is not even in Nottinghamshire, being just over the county boundary in Leicestershire. There is a station at Long Eaton which is about 20 minutes walk from Sawley Marina and served by direct trains from London St Pancras, Nottingham and Derby.

www.nationalrail.co.uk

There is also a Skylink bus service which operates at 30 minute intervals from Nottingham to East Midlands Airport via Sawley - some buses go on to Loughborough. Thus you are not limited to staying in Nottigham - you could stay in London and travel up on the day, or you could use any of the towns and villages on the Skylink route. Castle Donington, for example, has a large number of hotels and guest houses because of its proximity to the airport and race track circuit.

https:/…maps-and-times

Now to the routes from the marina. There are a number of choices but I would pick from two. Either the Trent & Mersey Canal towards Fradley Junction, or the River Soar/Grand Union Canal south to north of Leicester at Birstall. Personally I would not consider the Erewash canal route as it is largely of historical interest only and is not particularly rural or scenic.

An early point of interest on the T & M route is Shardlow, an historical canal town with some very old canal buildings, and three canalside pubs! You'll also find many pubs along here, Willington for example has three (again), Alrewas a couple, and the very famous Swan Inn at Fradley Junction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fradley_Junction

It also passes through the brewery town of Buton upon Trent with countless pubs, not many canalside though.

The route to Leicester is also well provided with pubs almost all of which do food. Of particular interest are the Otter at Kegworth, Rose and Crown at Zouch, Plough at Normanton, Navigation at Barrow on Soar, Waterside at Mountsorrel and the Hungry Horse near Thurmaston. You would also pass through Loughborough, where there is a large shopping centre very close to the canal at Loughborough basin including a Tesco supermarket for provisions. Loughborough also has a preseved steam railway close to the canal.

You will of course have to retrace your steps on both routes, but don't worry, things on the canals look quite different on the way back!

For initial provisions, there are shops in Sawley itself, or you may get some basic supplies at the marina.

Let me know if you need any further information - have a great trip, and let us know how you got on.

Edited: 13 March 2013, 21:31
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

I told you aardvark would have all the answers! Thank you for saving my credibility A!

middle england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

My pleasure CB - you'd do the same for Cheshire I'm sure!

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
12 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

Thanks Aardvark. I have looked very carefully at their website and quite frankly, I'm stymied. They say we should contact them, but they give no contact information. I have tried to find an email or a working phone or fax, and so far no luck. If you have any information in that regard, it would be much appreciated, as I do have some questions that are not addressed on their website.

We were were going to Nottingham because we have a few extra days before the boat hire, and I thought it might be worthwhile to visit. If you have other suggestions, I would appreciate your input. Are there interesting villages on the Skylink route that would be worth seeing? We probably won't stay in London, as we lived there (albeit quite a few years ago) and I would like to see more of the English countryside.

Thank you for your wonderful information on possible routes. The knowledge will be invaluable.

We are so looking forward to the trip. I will absolutely send a followup report as to how thing go.

All the best!!

middle england
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

I couldn't find a contact number either!! In fact the tone of some of the things on their website is quite inappropriate in my opinion.

I can only suggest you ring the main office at Sawley to see if they can help. Details on

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/sawley_marina

There are not really any particular places on the Skylink route. The villages along here are sort of semi industrial partly due to their excellent transport link by road, rail and air, so not really representative of "rural England". So perhaps Nottingham would be your best bet, but again obviously not rural.

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
375 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

Hello there,

Apologies for the slowness of replying. I thought that this was all about boating which is not really my scene. However I see you have a few more general questions. I am not sure now many of you there are but you might think about a taxi transfer directly to Nottingham. If there are 3 or more of you it can be very cost effective and in two ours you will be in our city. The cost would be about £130 and much less hassle.

Once here there is lots to do for a couple of days and you have an easy local train journey to Long Eaton for the canal boat.

As far as accommodation is concerned we have good budget accommodation eg Premier Inn or Jury's or somewhere more upmarket like Harts. It is a city so no quaint b&bs or country pubs I am afraid. There is lots to do in the city for two days and easy transport access to some great tourist attractions. Let us know what you like and you will get the locals making suggestions. Might be worth a new post so they realise that you are not just asking about the canal boat.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canaltime at Sawley-lodging, provisioning, & transportation

There's a phone number of 0115 - 973 - 4564 given in

canaltime.com/narrowboats/nb_docs/ctm_nb_com…

(found by googling 0115 canaltime sawley)

Get answers to your questions about Nottingham