We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I visit on the way from London to Oxford?

london
Level Contributor
191 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where should I visit on the way from London to Oxford?

Hi all,

Next weekend, I plan to travel by car from East London to the Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire.

It will take me 2 hours to arrive at the destination.

Between Oxford and London, is there any other notable attraction or city that I can visit as well?

My sincere thanks,

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I visit on the way from London to Oxford?

I guess it depends on the sort of thing you want to see. If you drive the most direct route, using the M40, there are few memorable places to visit. If you leave London via the M4, though, there are better options. You will pass Windsor, so it would be a very short detour to visit the castle. You could then leave the M4 and take the A404(M) -> A404 -> A4130 to Henley, which is for my money one of the prettiest towns in the Thames Valley, and a good place to stop for tea or lunch. The drive from Henley to Oxford along the A4130/A4074 is very picturesque.

Hope that helps.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I visit on the way from London to Oxford?

Great Tew ,but more so Little Tew if you have a car just up teh road from Oxford. Its is as if you have stepped back into the C16th -beautiful thatched houses ....a village kept like this by the Squire.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I visit on the way from London to Oxford?

Very good advice above, but will make for a long day. If it is a weekend you have, then go for it.

Visiting Windsor Castle

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Average visit to the Castle is 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I advise visiting on a Saturday instead of a Sunday, as there is no visitor access to the magnificent St. George's Chapel on Sundays.

For what it's worth, I think the best parking in Windsor is off King Edward VII Avenue and is called, funnily enough, the King Edward VII parking. Pay for the maximum amount of time you can (I think it's five hours) just so you won't have to rush back.

Driving to Blenheim from Windsor should take just an hour and a bit, barring traffic.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I visit on the way from London to Oxford?

You can't seriously visit Oxford and Blenheim in just one day, especially by car. You simply won't have time to faff about with places like Henley, let alone drive on afterwards to the Tews, which are beyond Woodstock and way out of your way

If you really insist on seeing the dump, drive straight to Blenheim (min 70 minutes from getting onto the A40 flyover at the western end of Marylebone Rd), see it (min 2.5 hrs from arriving at its gates to getting out again), drive back towards Oxford ASAP, park in the first Park & Ride, get the bus into town and sightee till you drop.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I visit on the way from London to Oxford?

@ Flanneruk: my impression is that the OP is only going to visit Blenheim and wants something else on the way.

@ OP: is this a day trip, or a weekend? If you are visiting Oxford as well, please clarify, as I agree with flanneruk that it would be too much.

6. Re: Where should I visit on the way from London to Oxford?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:16