We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

Marcham, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

Does anyone know if there is a train from Oxford to Edinburgh with no changes.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

The National Rail journey planner shows at least one today - the 15.07 - there may be more and things could be different at weekends, for example:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,178 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

Bear in mind that cross-country trains may actually take longer and/or cost more that going via London, and may not have so many facilities

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

I'm normally a fan of a through train, it is so much less faff. However, the operator on this particular route is Cross Country, who are my least favourite UK train company. They rarely offer cheap 'advance' tickets, and their trains can be crowded and the interior can have an unloved appearance.

If you select an itinerary with a change (Coventry or Birmingham perhaps), you can do the longest part of the journey on Virgin. Their trains (usually 9 or 11 coach 'pendalino' type on this route) would be my choice. You may be offered a cheaper 'advance' ticket by doing this too.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

I agree. Cross Country trains are often crowded and rarely run on time. If you want to be standing squashed up next to a plastic wall for seven hours, stay with Cross Country. Otherwise get out at Coventy or Birmingham and switch to a Virgin train. It also means you can choose a better variety of services from Oxford.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,932 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

Cross Country trains are best avoided in my view. Henneth's advice is good, if you decide to use them switch to Virgin as soon as you can.

Cross Country trains are short, very crowded and generally unpleasant to travel in for long periods. They ar ejust about tolerable for 30-60 mins.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

Fly from Heathrow or Birmingham, both have coach or train services direct from Oxford

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

The only direct train most days actually takes longer than most options involving changes around Birmingham.

All routes via London take longer than the straightforward trains changing around Birmingham.

All trains to Birmingham from Oxford are on Cross-Country. And I've never had to travel standing up if I've booked a seat in advance, though when the awful Richard Branson was responsible for Cross Country, he (after all, the whole point of Branson's brands is that he's supposed to Bransonise everything about them) cancelled all seat bookings on at least two occasions my 80 yo mother in law was travelling.

Now Deutsche Bundesbahn run CC, it's less horrible than in Branson's day. And every alternative to using them to Edinburgh is far worse.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,362 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

<Bear in mind that cross-country trains may actually take longer and/or cost more that going via London, and may not have so many facilities>

Perhaps the OP has a reason for wanting "no changes", such as physical disability, which makes that more important than any other consideration.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,932 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

Perhaps so. I would still prefer not to travel at all if that were the case, rather then endure Cross Country for such a long journey!

Edited: 07 April 2014, 20:43
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oxford to Edinburgh no changes

We can only speculate the OP's reason for why they want a direct train as their question was rather abrupt and lacking information or basic manners. But even if a disability was involved, if they can get to the first station, then they can get to another one and switch trains.