We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Randolph Hotel Restaurant and Gee's

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington, dc
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Randolph Hotel Restaurant and Gee's

Has anyone eaten at the restaurant at the Randolph or at Gee's? How would they be for a summer celebration dinner? How far out of the city denter is Gee's? Any thoughts for other restaurants? Is the Pierre Victoire very informal?

thanks-

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
938 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Randolph Hotel Restaurant and Gee's

See my response to your other post. Gee's is less than 10 minutes walk from the Randolph - and 15 minutes from Old Bank (the same man is behind both Old Bank and Gee's).

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,536 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Randolph Hotel Restaurant and Gee's

Gees restaurant is very nice. It is in an old conservatory building that used to be a flower shop. It is on the Banbury Road which leads out of Oxford towards Summertown. I suppose you could walk if you are fairly active but it might be better to hop on a bus or take a taxi. They do nice lunches as well as dinner - have you looked at their website. I have only eaten in the Randolph once and it was many years ago so can't really comment but wasn't terrifically impressed at the time. Have a look at a few websites:- Brasserie Blanc, The Lemon Tree, Cherwell Boathouse, Old Parsonage, Quod there are also quite a few restaurants in the Old Castle area. There is a good Thai on the High called Chang Mai Kitchen and my favourite Indian is the Spice Lounge in Summertown. You should be able to google them by putting the name and then Oxford. Another nice restaurant but in the country is The Mole at Toot Baldon but no good if you don't have a car. Hope this is helpful.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
711 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Randolph Hotel Restaurant and Gee's

Gee's is fine and a nice setting in a glass conservatory. The Cherwell Boathouse is near to Gee's, is a nice setting and probably better. Pierre Victoire is very informal. I can recommend Malmaison. Not cheap but in interesting surroundings (the old Castle) and good food.

Brasserie Blanc in Jericho is good. If you like Thai food, Chiang Mai kitchen (just up the road from the Old Bank) is excellent and in an amazing building. Also near to the Old Bank is a great informal fish restaurant called Fishers, which is on St Clements.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,536 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Randolph Hotel Restaurant and Gee's

Sorry didn't answer your question properly. I think Gees or any of the others mentioned at the beginning would be nice for a summer celebration. Pierre Victoire is quite informal. Gees and the Lemon Tree are in very nice airy buildings while the Cherwell Boathouse is just that an old boathouse on the river. I don't know if any of your party are vegetarian as the Boat House usually only has one thing vegge but the chef did once make a special vegge starter when we were in a large party and about three people were vegetarian.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Randolph Hotel Restaurant and Gee's

I was in Oxford two weeks ago and ate at Chutney, which was excellent Indian food and at Jamie's Italian which was surprisingly good. We were concerned the restaurant was going to be a so-so place with high prices because of the name attached to it, but it was neither. Excellent food, good service, very reasonable. Go early or be prepared to wait. The line really started to become long by about 7PM.

6. Re: Randolph Hotel Restaurant and Gee's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 19:18