We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive Cream Tea

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive Cream Tea

I am thinking of treating myself and my little son to a cream tea during an upcoming visit, but would like to keep it casual (due to his age) and inexpensive (due to my budget!). Hoping to keep it at about 8 pound each. Prefer it to be in the center since we won't have a car and will probably go after a museum visit. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

This may be an option: http://the-rose.biz/afternoontea.htm

The only slight snag is that it's about half a mile or so from three of the museums. There is a very nice walk that you could undertake - under the Bridge of Sighs and along New College Lane - on the way, though.

Happily provide more details if you wish.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
716 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

Hi, You could do worse than the cafe at the Ashmolean, if you are doing it after a visit there. There is also the Queens Lane Coffee House halfway along the High Street. Also worth trying the News Cafe on Ship Street, just around the corner from the Ashmolean.

Georgina's in the Covered Market is a quirky place dailyinfo.co.uk/reviews/venue/280/Georginas/

and central too.

Probably the nicest place - and right on budget - is the Old Parsonage. A 5 minute walk from the centre at the city end of Banbury Road.

oldparsonage-hotel.co.uk/main/…

Enjoy

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,057 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

The Old Parsonage is wonderful. I once had a cream tea there as part of a wedding reception. It was fabulous.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

Re the Ashmolean Museum suggestion above - unfortunately it's closed until November.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
463 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

I recommend the Queen's Lane coffee house - corner of High and Queen. It's casual, child-friendly, and they have monster scones, though they are a bit more like fruit buns than traditional scones. Still delicious.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

Wait!! The Ashmolean is closed until Nov? Or just the Cafe there?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

The Ashmolean Museum itself is closed. See here http://www.ashmolean.org/

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

Sorry - should have said - and the cafe is also closed. Why can't we edit our posts?!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, well these things happen, but still. :(

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
463 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive Cream Tea

Yes, the Ashmolean will be closed, but Oxford is blessed with many fantastic (and free) museums. I highly recommend taking your son to the Natural History Museum and Pitt Rivers (two fantastic museums in one building), The Museum of the History of Science on Broad Street, and the Museum of Oxford on St Aldates. All of these museums have special activities and gift packs for the little ones to make it more fun and interesting. For other ideas of what to do with your little boy while here, look at this page: www.oxfordcityguide.com/ee2/index.php…