We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

I am an American citizen and lost my passport today (Sat. July 25, 2009) while traveling between London and Oxford. I may have lost it on the bus. Would anyone care to advise me what is the best thing to do? I am planning to stay in Oxford two weeks. Any good advice about how to find it, or what are the requirements to get an emergency passport from the American consulate in London?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,801 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

Hi Artemisia.

Welcome to TA.

Try looking on

usembassy.org.uk/acs/…lostpassport.html

Hope this helps.

ian480.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

Call the bus company there is a good chance someone will have handed it in.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

Firstly before posting on here I would contact the bus company. Have you done that?

What was the final destination of the bus? Find out and contact the local police office there to find out if anyone handed it in. However if I found a passport on a bus I would be more likely to pass it to the driver. As for advice on a replacement passport then I would not rely on advice here but call the Consulate ASAP. Also if the passport was handed to the police I would have thought they would also call the consulate to let them know it had been found and where it was. so call the consulate ASAP.

I don't know about USA passports but UK ones have a section at the back for emergency contact numbers. If this is the case with the US ones then I would be quite likely to call one of those numbers to try to get the passport back to you so maybe calling them yourself would be an idea.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

What a tough topic to have for your first post here :-(

I do hope you find it and please post back and let us know.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

So far I have done the following:

(1) looked at the U.S. Embassy website. They have a provision for applying for an emergency passport. However it says to have a copy of your birth certificate and I don't. They must have some other kind of provision. Wonder if anyone knows about it? I sent them an email and I expect to hear back from them tomorrow.

(2) I also called the bus company - no one has turned it in to date.

(3) I went down to the local police station at St. Aldate's and reported it. He checked and said no one had turned it in but to check back tomorrow at their property division which is adjacent. He said their policy is to forward passports to the issuer (i.e. American embassy) and their policy is not to take the names of people who lost their passports.

Any one have any additional tips or information for me?

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

On Friday I went to the American Embassy in London and they told me it had been found in Oxford so I would have to return to Oxford to pick it up. So I did and picked it up from the Esso Garage near the Ice Rink. I was told they reported it on Wednesday. Thanks everyone for sharing my concern.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

A nice ending...I'm happy you got it back

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

Ah great. Glad you got it back

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

How wonderful you got it back! Thanks for letting us know.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lost passport between London and Oxford (American citizen)

Happy ending, good for you.

I recommend that all travelers make a copy of the front page of your passport and keep it separate from your passport. I have a copy of my wife’s and mine when I travel and she has copies as well.

In addition to having a copy if you lose it, some countries in Asia require a passport number to sell you currency and that way you don’t have your passport on the streets.

Be aware of your situation. Watch the booze on airplanes too. I had one too many scotches (whiskey, for the discerning reader) and left my passport and wallet in my fanny pack when I got off the plane in Narita. 30 heart-stopping minutes later I got it back. I don't drink much when I fly (at least alone) these days!!!

I scan my credit cards and send the scan to my email address so if I lose them I can get into any internet café and download copies to report them missing.