We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

Hello TA friends! I need help with teh Oxford´s part of my itinerary, where I would stay for two days and try to do the following:

Day 1:

Visit some colleges and other places starting as early as possible in the morning, including Carfax Tower; Christ Church College; the Botanic Gardens; Radcliffe Camera ; Magdalen College ; Merton College ; Balliol College ; University Museum ; Pitts River Museum (Am I missing any MUST SEE college? Is this too much for a day?)

Day 2:

In the morning, I´d travel to Blenheim Palace and return at midday to eat something in Oxford.

In the afternoon I would visit Oxford Castle ; Ashmolean Museum and I´d take a walk along the river to finish the day

Do you think this itinerary is possible? Would I need to take some public transport in the city? Or is walking possible with this itinerary?

(I prefer walking much more than travelling by bus as long as possible, obviously with the exception of Blenheim Palace).

Any suggestion would really help! Thank you very much!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

If there are specific colleges you wish to see, you need to check that they are actually open to the public. The are closed randomly due to exam, uni events, conferences etc. Magdalen for example is usually open open after 1pm even on a good day. If you are in Oxford during term time (i.e. from 1st October) many colleges will be closed or have restricted opening hours.

I don't think the radcliffe camera is ever open to tourists. You will just see the outside. The Bodleian library do tours for visitors, but I don't know if you get to go inside the Rad cam itself. Possibly not.

It is impossible to see these places unless you walk. There is no other option. Oxford isn't very big.

You can do all these places in one day, but it will be rushed. If I were you, i would pick 2 or 3 places you really want to see and do them first. Then see if you have any time left afterwards.

I'm not sure what you mean by "University museum".

You might end up taking longer at Blenheim than you think. It's quite big and has beautiful gardens. Don't forget to take the mini train to the "Pleasure Gardens". There is a maze and a butetrfly house there. You need to take the bus to Blenheim. i think it's the S3 and it goes from the bus station or outside of Borders.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

Don't miss the Bodleian Library and Sheldonian Theatre (a Wren masterpiece) which are close to the Radcliffe Camera.

The University Museum and the Pitt Rivers are housed in the same building on Parks Road. It's an old fashioned Victorian natural history museum rather than a museum about the University of Oxford.

http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/

For the history of the city and the university, head to the Museum of Oxford which is beside the Town Hall on St. Aldate's.

http://www.museumofoxford.org.uk/

Take a stroll through the Covered Market. Mornings are best and there's plenty of places for coffee or even lunch. You can access the Covered Market from the High Street or Cornmarket.

http://www.oxford-covered-market.co.uk/

England
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

You can walk around central Oxford, so you wouldn't need to take any buses. You are cramming a lot into the first day, I guess it really depends how long you want to stay at each college. It also depends upon whether they are open. Some are free, but others you have to pay to get into.

You also want to allow yourself time to enjoy the Pitt Rivers (and don't forget the Natural History Museum, which is on the same site). You can also spend a good hour or more in the Botanic Gardens. You might like to try and revise your plans so that you're not rushing about all day.

I reckon do the museums in the morning then head down to the Radcliffe Camera. Unless I'm mistaken, you can't go in the Radcliffe Camera unless you're a student or have a pass, so I guess you won't be able to spend much time there. My suggestion would be to do that just before lunch and then eat at The Vaults cafe by the church opposite you. It's delicious food and good portions that will keep you going. You could walk up the church tower rather than Carfax for a good view over the city.

You're then ideally located for Christchurch, Magdalen and the Botanic Garden. Visit some colleges and then have dinner. After you've eaten, take a stroll round Christchurch Meadow.

I'd also recommend Port Meadow, up in the Jericho/Wolvercote area of town. It's a real haven.

As for day two. I think you'll probably surprise yourself and spend more than a morning in Blenheim. The grounds are extensive and the formal gardens shouldn't be missed. If you want to go round the house, that will take more time. It would be a shame not to explore Woodstock, a lovely town. Why not have lunch there? I would be hard pushed to do it all in a morning, but that's just me.

Hope this has been of some help. Any questions just shout!

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
718 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

Please note that if your visit is before November, that the Ashmolean is closed.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
963 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

I concur with the other posters - your itinerary is extremely full - and you'll struggle to do all the sights if you intend to do them justice.

You don't mention when and where you are staying. If you arrive within the next month - and are staying within the city, then you could give yourself a bit more time by walking along the river in the evening (sunset today is 8.30pm - and it's 7.30pm on September 12th). In addition the University Church (suggested by Holidayhoper instead of Carfax Tower) is open until 7pm in August.

This webpage should help - it not only lists some key opening hours but on the right hand side is a link to download a .pdf map with a lot of places already plotted so you can plan routes around the city to maximise your time. ox.ac.uk/visitors_friends/…

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,878 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

I think you will be able to see all of the places you list on Day 1 along with some of the other suggestions that have been made if you start early. Oxford is quite small and if you enjoy walking it will not be a problem. As has been suggested you could walk along the river in the evening. I also agree that you may find you need more than a morning at Blenheim. You could wander round Woodstock and maybe have lunch there and then return to Oxford to finish off anything you didn't manage the previous day. You could eat in the Oxford Castle area in the evening if you wanted to.

Oxford
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

You may want to consider a walking tour of Oxford. That was you can take in a couple of colleges, the radcliffe camera and Christ Church and learn a lot from the guide.

I am a local resident but took the tour recently and found it fascinating!

Have a look at this link:

http://www.oxfordcity.co.uk/info/tours.html

I would reccomend the 2 hr University and City tour.

8. Re: My 2 day Oxford Itinerary... Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 05:22