We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

Oxford,UK
Level Contributor
190 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

'London' airport name change row

Just wondered what other oxonians thought of this...?

Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
1,000 reviews
from US$82.80*
Oxford, Cotswolds...
1,271 reviews
from US$128.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access Day...
99 reviews
from US$171.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Warner Bros. Studio and...
48 reviews
from US$141.40*
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,511 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

A bit odd isn't it. Oxford Airport has been good enough for years now suddenly has to be London Oxford Airport. Doesn't London have enough airports?

Oxford
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

They're just trying to get new business. Why not? Might confuse foreign tourists but I don't think that's their target market.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

Can't see the harm as far as the name change is concerned. Oxford's little more than London's medieval and academic quarter anyway and it's silly to pretend it's some proud, independent, city-state.

The problem isn't the name. The real problem is that the owners are changing the name to attract more private jets, since the airport's perfect for paparazzi-free access to central, west and north London.

But West Oxfordshire - by some standard's almost England's quietest and most lightly populated district - doesn't want more private jets. Planes to and from Oxford and Brize Norton disturb our calm enough already. And they're made worse by RAF helicopter training flights and rich weekenders' private choppers - including those borrowed by a certain Leader of the Opposition who keeps on lecturing us about the environment.

England
Level Contributor
383 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

It's a bit odd, but Stansted and Luton aren't exactly in London either. Since Ox airport is tiny and is only used by small charters (think there's someone who goes to Jersey?) and private planes, I really can't see that it will make much of a difference - holidaymakers won't be able to fly there anyway, unless they do massive work on expanding the place. It also needs better links to London before it can be taken seriously. Those arriving at Stansted have direct bus and train services, not exactly the same as arriving at the edge of Kidlington.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

It's at least 60 miles from London - and I can't think of an easy and direct form of public transport to get from the airport to London bar a very expensive taxi ride. Talk about misleading the ppoor punter...

6. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 17:55
Oxford
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

Have a look at this:

oxfordmail.co.uk/news/…

Looks like they are planning a train into Marleybone with a new stop at Water Eaton park and ride.

A lot more details here:

chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk/index.php/project-…

Gosford, Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

Since everyone round here calls it 'Kidlington Airport' (not Oxford) anyway, I doubt it'll have much effect.

I hadn't heard of the plan to run Oxford-London trains via Bicester. It seems a bit bizarre to head North when aiming for London. But Water Eaton station would be handy. However I've been hearing for years that a station would be built there to service the reopened Oxford-Cambridge line and there's no sign of that yet so I won't hold my breath.

It would make more sense to reopen Kidlington station (either on or near its original site or further South by the level crossing). When it was closed it was quite remote from the village but now the suburbs have spread Northwards to engulf it - I'm sure people would really use a service to London.

9. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 17:55
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oxford (Kidlington) Airport Renamed.

Really rather silly - Oxford Cotswolds or Oxford Thames Valley would make more sense for their target market. A few years ago Manston thought up London Kent Airport and dropped it fairly quickly, though I don't know that Kent Internaional has been a great success either.