We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford in December, worth it?

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Oxford in December, worth it?

Hello all,

My boyfriend and I were considering doing a day trip from London out to Oxford in December but I'm wondering if it would be worth it in the winter? There is no punting (I believe...) but is it still a nice place to explore? (any Christmas markets perhaps?) I went to Cambridge in the summer and loved it but I think that was largely in part to lovely punting down the river in the sunshine...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

Yes.

There's the colleges, the Bodleian, the Ashmolean, the Pitt Rivers, the Botanical Garden, the Covered Market, Christchurch Meadow, St.Mary the Virgin, MOMA, Christchurch Art Gallery, the Turf Tavern, the Bear, endless shops and restaurants etc, etc.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

I concur with all the above - and of course there's the stunning architecture!

This might give you a flavour of the City http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtour/

Comprehensive listings of events etc here http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/whatson/index.html

This site might also help oxfordcity.co.uk/oxford/home_travel_tourism.…

London
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

Wow, thanks so much! Oxford it is then.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,516 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

If you have never been to Oxford I am sure you would enjoy it even in December. All of the above and lots of nice places to eat too. I think we locals take the architecture and the beauty of the city for granted just a little bit.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

I recently had to (well, wanted to) show some Romanians round, and for one reason and another we were still touring about 7 pm.

I'd forgotten how magical Oxford can be on a winter's evening. The back streets (Sundays at 6-7 are particularly good) were empty, bells were going off all over the place and you could easily have been back in the middle ages. Except that boozers we usually avoid because they're bit touristy (like The Turl) were serving much better hooch than they did 600 years ago (English beer wasn't hopped till roughly the Reformation - which in Oxford is a relatively recent event they're still not quite sure about)

Add to that the absence of the really feckless tourists who clog up the streets in the summer, the new Ashmolean, the fact that a proper tea was designed to keep us warm during the winter, the boozers, the wonderful crispness and smells of the rivers in early winter, a few glasses of sherry to keep you going, Xmas lights at the Castle. Evensong at Christ Church when it's dark outside. Especially if it's chilly enough to need another quick glass in another pub. And then there's the kebab vans in St Giles...

Honestly: Oxford's at its best in December.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

I would concur. I lived in Oxford for many years and December was one of my favourite times of year. Pray for a Thames Valley fog (pretty frequent in winter) and it's incredibly Dickensian.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

ITA, Oxford is lovely in winter.

I don't think there is a special Christmas market (there wasn't when I lived there 3 years ago) but the indoor market (year round) is always night for unusual gifts.

It even usually has non-tacky white snowflake Christmas lights up.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

And if you're there on a crisp, frosty Oxfordshire winter's day, the place glistens and that lovely yellow Cotswold stone glows with Mediterranean warmth.

Sorry - my previous post escaped before I had finished!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

Just had notification of a Xmas market - it's Oxford's first one (so don't know how good it will be!) and it will take place from Dec 10th to 20th at the Oxford Castle complex. The advert says 30 stalls with choirs & brass bands.

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
482 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oxford in December, worth it?

Oxford is beautiful at all times of year, and December is no exception. Oxford has its first ever German style Christmas market at the Castle from 10-20 December (http://www.oxfordchristmasmarket.co.uk/), plus a bunch of other holiday related activities. Take a look at Oxford City Guide's christmas page (www.oxfordcityguide.com/ee2/index.php…) or their general calendar of events. I recommend booking an afternoon tea at the Old Parsonage Hotel for something special.