We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktails for 40 somethings

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cocktails for 40 somethings

Hi

Any suggestions for nice wine/cocktail bars for a married 40 something couple away for a mid week break (Wednesday/Thursday). Have seen Duke of Cambridge and Maxwells advertised a lot, are we too old for them (be honest please), or any other suggestions please.

We're thinking lunch times or pre-dinner time, so early evening.

Thanks all.

Jo

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
717 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

Hi

You will not have a problem in the Duke of Cambridge or Raoul's

http://www.raoulsbar.co.uk/

Both the Duke and Raoul's are very near to each other.

I would avoid Maxwell's if I were you.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,824 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

I agree with Dukla about Maxwell's. There is a new bar in George Street next to Jamie's restaurant think it is called Fire and Stone. You could do worse than some of the hotel bars or even All Bar One on the High. When you start wandering around I am sure you will spot somewhere that will tempt you.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

Agree to avoid Maxwells, I'm in my late 20's and find it a bit rowdy! Good cocktails but a young crowd and a bit noisy for me.

All bar one, is good, a good range of ages from 18 to anything up to 60's ....

You can also get cocktails in The Living Room near the Castle, although service can be a little slow and can be busy at times, but also any age group there.

Essex
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

Ooh theres a thought, I wonder if i'll be asking this sort of question when i'm 60!!!

Thanks everybody for your replies, will give your recommendations a try, although maybe not all of them!!!

Jo

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

There's a nice little cocktail area at Brown's, which is on Woodstock Road, just near the intersection of Little Clarendon, if you find that the Duke isn't for you. Sometimes in the afternoons they even have a jazz pianist.

Essex
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

Ah thats a good idea, I have been in Browns near Covent Garden and it was lovely, might even try it for lunch.

Thanks for that.

Jo

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
957 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

All Bar One tends to be standing room only on Saturday nights - with mainly the younger element!!

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

I don't think thats very true about All Bar One, the age range is from young to about 50's, but mostly around mid twenties to mid thirties.

I've been on many a Saturday night and never had a problem finding a table ...... but you never know.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
957 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

Apologies - when I said younger I meant twenties/early thirties. I struggled for a seat last Saturday night. I'd suggest (but am open to challenges!!) that during the week it's fine - Saturday nights a bit more crowded. The seating is a bit more conducive to larger groups with benches etc being used a lot of the time, rather than all single chairs.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,824 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cocktails for 40 somethings

I agree with bionicgrasshopper about trying the Living Room. I had a nice Bellini in there recently. Can get crowded but it would be good to visit the Castle area and they do have live music sometimes.

Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations