We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

Leeds
Level Contributor
187 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

We are coming to Oxford for a weekend at the end of Feb, staying in Kidlington. Our rough plan is as follows:

Friday – Bicester Village

Saturday – Blenheim Palace (which will have just opened for the season)

Sunday – wander around Oxford

We will also try and fit in a walk – along the Thames path?

Is Sunday a good day to go into the city – we want to wander around, see the Colleges and just get a feel for the place. Is there anything we should see that would be closed on Sunday?

Many thanks for any advice or help.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
976 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

Actually very few places that you'll want to see will be closed. College opening hours here: ox.ac.uk/visitors_friends/…index.html

Also worth going to the museums - including the recently expanded Ashmolean http://www.ashmolean.org/plan/openingtimes/

You could walk up the river to Port Meadow - or down the river to Iffley Village - alternatively visit the University Parks or Christchurch Meadows.

You could go to the Castle Complex. http://www.oxfordcastle.com/

The only thing that might not be open is the Covered Market - a unique selection of local shops - but you might even be lucky here.

I think you might have to decide what to focus on - and go from there - these websites will also help http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/ and www.oxfordcity.co.uk/info/visitors.html

Leeds
Level Contributor
187 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

That's hugely helpful, many many thanks

Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
476 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

The covered market is now open on Sunday's. I recommend looking at the one day itinerary on Oxfordcityguide.com to help you see the best of Oxford in just one day - oxfordcityguide.com/TouristInfo/Itineraries.…

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
976 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

My understanding was that Sunday opening of the Covered Market was still in the trial stage - with a review due at the end of this month?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

Sounds good but do you really think you will need a whole day to do Bicester Village? You probably could spend a whole day doing Blenheim as Woodstock itself is nice to wander around as well and if you are having a nice lunch that would take time. You may be able to fit something else in on the Friday.

Leeds
Level Contributor
187 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

Thanks again for all the suggestions and advice.

TwigsOxford: We are driving down from Yorkshire Friday morning so not likely to arrive before noon. I like to shop...but not for a full day!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
976 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

Just a thought - if you are into classical music, after you have been shopping at Bicester village - there's a couple of concerts on Friday night in Oxford. www.dailyinfo.co.uk/events.php…

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

Regarding your walk - from the city centre, along the river, you can't go wrong. You can either head south, past the college boathouses in the direction of Abingdon - The Isis Farmhouse is worth a stop for coffee/beer/cake/lunch etc.

Or you can head north towards Wolvercote. This is more countryside-ish. There are good pubs along the way - The Perch at Binsey or the Trout at Wolvercote. You can do a circular walk up the river to Wolvercote and down the Canal, through Jericho, back into the city.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

Hi there

I live in a village just outside Bicester and if you are going to visit, definitely do it on the Friday and not the Saturday or Sunday. The traffic is horrendous at weekends! Also when visiting best to get there in the morning (aroudn 10am ish) rather than lunch time to avoid any traffic. I've seen it backed right down the dual carriageway to the M40!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend in Oxford - what to do when?

Hmm, each to their own, but I'd prefer to go shopping in Oxford than Bicester Village. Like most of these outlet stores, my experience is that they are mostly off-loading last year's kit (which is fine in itself) but everything tends to be available in odd colours and sizes, so if you were looking for lime-green XXL trousers, you'll be in luck, but otherwise you may come away empty-handed and a bit frazzled. Oxford has lovely shops of all sorts and a trip to the Covered Market is worth 10 trips to Bicester Village IMHO, so I personally wouldn't take the risk of finding it closed on a Sunday. If I were you, I'd skip Bicester Village and do Oxford on Friday and Saturday and Blenheim/Woodstock on Sunday. Just my two penn'orth...