We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need hotel reccommendation

Waterloo
8 posts
Save Topic
need hotel reccommendation

I would be grateful for a reccommendation. My 70-year old mom and I will be in Oxford for a two-night stay near the end of a two-week dream trip to England together. She is paying for the the bulk of the trip and so Oxford is my treat. I am looking for a top-notch, surprise-free, stay, with a spacious quiet room that has the real Oxford feel... Wouldn't say money is "no object" but not my chief concern. I want to get it right! We are not driving so proximity to town centre is good as we'll be walking and taking taxi, bus. Also, any ideas about booking to ensure the best room available? Grateful for any advice!!!

With best wishes from snowy Ontario Canada:)

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Oxford, UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
486 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need hotel reccommendation

If you want to impress your mum, then the Randolph is your best bet. It's in the prime location in town - right in the city centre, easy walking distance from the bus station, and directly across the street from the Ashmolean Museum (which, incidentally, is closed on Monday). The Randolph is reputed to be the best hotel in town - whether or not that's true is dependent on personal taste, but it does carry the 5* badge.

Another suggestion is the Cotswold Lodge Hotel, where my parents stay when they come to visit. The rooms are very spaceous, and there's a lovely restaurant on the premises. The hotel is about 1/2 mile from the city centre, but on a very popular bus route. A taxi ride from the bus/train station should cost around £5/£6 tops.

Two other suggestions to look into are the Old Bank Hotel on High Street and the Old Parsonage Hotel.

Take a look at www.oxfordcityguide.com - they break hotels down by price range and give links to each, so it's a good place to start your research.

enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Old Bank Hotel
Old Bank Hotel
1,255 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Old Parsonage Hotel
Old Parsonage Hotel
764 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Cotswold Lodge Hotel
Cotswold Lodge Hotel
865 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need hotel reccommendation

How about Bath Place? It's v.central and quaint. Details here-

http://www.bathplace.co.uk/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Bath Place Hotel
Bath Place Hotel
300 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
729 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need hotel reccommendation

If it was me in your position, I would go for the Old Parsonage

http://www.oldparsonage-hotel.co.uk/

The Randolph is a prominent Oxford landmark but I have heard mixed reviews from people who have stayed there.

Don't know anyone who has stayed at Bath Place, but it is in a great central location.

Mentioned in this post
Bath Place Hotel
Bath Place Hotel
300 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
California
Level Contributor
375 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need hotel reccommendation

Strongly recommend the newly renovated Hope House Hotel in nearby woodstock, just 20 minutes away from Oxford and right next door to Blenheim Palace

Silk duvets, heated bathroom floors, flat screen tv's, ipod docking stations.

800 sq. ft. suites for about 395 pounds - and that has 2 bedrooms.

Sounds like luxury all the way in a small boutique hotel setting.

Edited: 18 February 2010, 01:12
Mentioned in this post
Blenheim Palace
Blenheim Palace
5,819 Reviews
Woodstock, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Waterloo
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need hotel reccommendation

Thanks! I did a bit more reading and certainly the Randolph place comes up a lot as a genteel favourite. Old school, plus I believe my mom watches the Morse series. Well run. And as you said the location sounds perfect!

However the Old Parsonage looks somehow prettier.... less urban... quieter or more gardeny. Maybe that's just the way it looks on their website. It's near the end of our trip, so quieter and smaller is better... Do you think the Old P is in a good location as well?

Thanks again and for the link to the city guide.

Is there anything quirky or different or just outstanding that you think we should do or see in Oxford?

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need hotel reccommendation

I think I would agree that although the Randolph is a bit more central and has the whole Morse thing going for it I would go for the Old Parsonage personally. Years ago the Randolph was always considered the best hotel in Oxford but there are a lot of new kids on the block these days. The Old Bank Hotel is another central hotel (right on the High Street) and a bit more up to date. You could always go for tea or something at the Randolph just to see the inside.

Mentioned in this post
Old Bank Hotel
Old Bank Hotel
1,255 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,762 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need hotel reccommendation

If you do get a chance to go to Woodstock I am sure your mother would love it even for just a half day. I know nothing about Hope House hotel but it sounds good from the previous review.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Oxfordshire, UK
Waterloo
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: need hotel reccommendation

Thank you all very much. We have just this moring nailed down our dates for our 2 days in Oxford, so I will be booking today and have pretty much decided with your guys help either the Randolph or the Parsonage. I'll have to see what's available cuz things are booking up fast!

We also decided to do an afternoon at Blenheim palace because I HAVE TO see one palace whilst in your stunning-looking country.

Can anyone suggest or clue me in to the easiest way to get from Oxford to the palace?

The Hope House sounds wonderful but I just want to be really central in Oxford so that my mom can use her units of walkability on the main sites there.

Thanks again....Can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Blenheim Palace
Blenheim Palace
5,819 Reviews
Woodstock, UK
The Parsonage Bar & Grill
The Parsonage Bar & Grill
583 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Waterloo
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: need hotel reccommendation

Hello again... Well in the end I booked the Bath Place! Thanks, all.

It's central, quaint, sounds quietish, has one large room for me and my mom, and in the end, I couldn't quite afford the others.

thanks again. this is the first time I have ever used such a website and it really helped.

-Scoobie

Mentioned in this post
Bath Place Hotel
Bath Place Hotel
300 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need hotel reccommendation

You might like to take your mother for tea at the Randolph; it's a very pleasant occasion, there's a comfortable lounge with mostly armchairs and small tables, and service is very good. Maybe you should book for that, although it's not always necessary; if you pop in to book you could choose your table. Or maybe just a drink in the bar. Whichever, you must have a look in the bar if your Mum's a Morse fan; there are lots of photos etc from the series.