We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

We are looking at booking the Cotswold Lodge hotel for a 2 night first visit to Oxford due to a very good price deal we can get (reviews seem reasonable). Location is Banbury Rd, OX2. I am aware that this hotel is not in Oxford city centre. It seems feasable to walk into the centre of Oxford from there. Does anyone know the distance? Also, what is that area of Oxford like for restaurants (for dinner), anything good nearby? Thank you, Tabby.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

It is a little less than a mile to the city centre so it's around a fifteen minute walk. The best bet for restaurants is the city centre - which is also a convenient short bus ride.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

I wouldn't really consider it as being 'out' of the city centre, more on the edge of it. The nearest restaurant is Gee's, the closest pub being the rather eccentric Rose and Crown with the restaurants and cafe-bars of Little Clarendon Strret being about 10 minutes walk away.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

I am sure you will be able to walk backwards and forwards into the town centre from there if you are reasonably fit. Otherwise it is on the bus route. Gees is a really nice restaurant built in a conservatory that used to be a flower shop. If you walk into town you will also pass the Old Parsonage which is part of the same group as Gees. Or alternatively you could catch a bus in the other direction (or walk) to Summertown where there a some good restaurants. Cibo or Portobello (Italian) or Spice Lounge is a good Indian.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

I also think the suggestion of Little Clarendon Street for restaurants and bars is a good one. You reach this by crossing over the road and then over the Woodstock Road (you can cut through the churchyard) just before the road opens out into St Giles. I like the Spanish tapas restaurant down there. Otherwise just continue into the centre and you will find lots of restaurants there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

Thank you, all sounds good. We are very fit & that walk will be no problem for us. Sounds like a good choice of restaurants & bars too, Tabby.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
716 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

I think its a good location. North Parade, where the Rose & Crown is, also has the Gardener's Arms and a good Indian restaurant called Jee Saheb. There is also the rather wonderful Cherwell Boathouse for a nice meal:

http://www.cherwellboathouse.co.uk/

Edited: 17 February 2010, 16:41
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

Thank you Dukla, I had already had a look at that Boathouse restaurant which I thought looked lovely & gets good reviews for food too. Tabby

8. Re: Cotswold Lodge Hotel - distance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 06:19