We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

central hotel

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
central hotel

Hi can anyone help, looking for a nice hotel for my mum & auntie both 70ish,needs tobe close to shops and the centre, (dont know much about the area so been looking at westgate ! ) 3/4 star hotel nice and safe, please

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,160 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: central hotel

Maybe if they want to be really central the Buttery in Broad Street might be good. This is very central. If they don't mind a short bus ride then the Thames Four Pillars on the Abingdon Road is quite good. It is within walking distance of the city centre but maybe not for older people. The other hotels that are really central are probably quite expensive i.e. The Randolph, The Old Bank, although I think Malmaison in the old castle area does some offers some times. It is central and is quite interesting as it used to be a prison. I am sure you will get lots of suggestions from the regulars on this forum.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
981 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: central hotel

The Buttery is certainly the closest - but if full The Old Parsonage may be an option - it's on the northern fringes of the city centre close to some shops and half a mile from the main shopping streets.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: central hotel

Good suggestions above.

I would avoid the Westgate though!

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: central hotel

Thanks to you all for the replys, what would be the best area then if we are to avoid westgate area,

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
981 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: central hotel

I think Dukla was referring to the Westgate Hotel - not the area.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,160 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: central hotel

There are no areas to avoid in central Oxford. You will be fine.

7. Re: central hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 06:19