We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day in Oxford

Manchester
Level Contributor
356 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
A Day in Oxford

We are planning a long weekend in Banbury and plan to visit Oxford, by train, for one of the days. Are there any sights in particular anyone would recommend we see when we only have a day to spend in Oxford.

Also we plan to go for a nice meal in Oxford mid-afternoon, where would you recommend?

Thanks

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day in Oxford

Wander around the Colleges, walk through Christchurch Meadow, maybe visit Christ Church College, see the Covered Market, walk down St.Giles, Broad Street and the High, have a look at the Bodleian and the Radcliffe Camera, visit the Asmolean; the Pitt-Rivers Museum is also well worth a visit; the Botanical Gardens are also worth a look at the right time of year.

Have a drink (or lunch) in the Turf Tavern, or visit the Bear for its quirky tie collection. If you are a Tolkien or CS Lewis fan, you should visit the Eagle and Child on St.Giles.

For food, that depends on what you like, but for a pub meal I like the Turf Tavern, otherwise there is the Old Bank restaurant on the High for something a little more up-market, or Browns at the top of St.Giles.

Eastbourne, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
720 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day in Oxford

Agree with all of the above suggestions.

I would now class the Ashmolean as 'unmissable', even if you only have half an hour in there.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day in Oxford

I think it's also worth a trip up Carfax tower or the University Church tower just for the spectacular birds eye view of the Oxford spires

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day in Oxford

With only a day, I'd take the tour from the TI center. I did that and learned so much about the colleges and the town! I loved my visit to Merton College - and our guide was so knowledgeable. My husband and daughter just wandered around and really ended up not getting a feel for the colleges at all as they are spread out and enclosed. They were amazed at how much I had seen and learned in two hours. Also, eating at The Eagle and The Child pub was a must for me as a Lewis/Tolkien nut - good fish and chips too! We loved Oxford so much, that I'm going back to spend a few days. One day gets by SO quickly - just racing around to the major sites. Almost impossible to really work in museums, etc.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
841 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day in Oxford

Visitoxford.org is a wonderful resource and has a one day itinerary, I believe.

Manchester
Level Contributor
356 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day in Oxford

Thanks everyone, that is all very useful.

7. Re: A Day in Oxford

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 07:18