We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Taxis

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Private Taxis

Hi, Later in the year I will need to get from Weybridge, Surrey, to Oxford. I have looked at the train websites but it seems I need three changes to get there. As I will have heavy luggage I looked at some of the private taxi sites. I have come up with one named "British Airport Cars" which have quoted by 60GBP for the trip.

Does anyone know if this is a reasonable amount for the journey, or better still, does anyone know anything about this company.

All ideas for the trip are welcome!

Deb

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Taxis

The problem with the train website, is from Weybridge it looks at London to change lines etc. Also, it uses the recomended transfer times.

The best way is to go Weybridge to Basingstoke, then Basingstoke to Oxford. The problem is you only have about 10 min to change trains, from platform 1 to 2 (normally), or you will be waiting an hour. Coming back the train times are better, as you get into Basingstoke about 20 min before the Weybridge train.

Check out www.nationalrail.co.uk but go into advance search, and change it from sugested transfer times, to be 1 hour. Off peek fare is about £20 single, but you might be able to buy advance tickets. (also look if cheaper to buy seperate tickets to and from Basingstoke).

The taxi fare is about right, for private hire local to me, its about £1.20 per mile.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
950 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Taxis

This travel website will give you a number of options - and it avoids London...!

allaboutweybridge.co.uk/aaw/travel_line.htm

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Taxis

<I have looked at the train websites but it seems I need three changes to get there.>

The travel line website is 3 changed of train.

The Basingstoke route is only 1 change, and generally platform 1 and 2 (what national rail website says the trains use), are next to each other.

Edited: 02 August 2010, 17:34
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
950 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Taxis

Apologies - but I beg to differ. The number of changes depends on the time of day/day of week you wish to travel - and it does indeed show the Basingstoke option.

Probably the best approach is for djh1 is to determine the day/time of travel - and then knowing the options that are possible research his available options in more detail at that time.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Taxis

The problem with both National Rail and Travel line, is the outbound way, it sees the first avaliable train as over 1 hour away, as the recomended min change of train time is 15 min. This makes the sites see going in and out of London, as faster.

There is a train 11 min after you get there, and its normally a move from platform 1 to 2, and as long as you do not arrive more then 6 min late, it can be done.

What you need to do, is look at time you can get to Basingstoke, then look at Trains to Oxford seperate.

Edited: 03 August 2010, 09:06
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Taxis

Thanks everyone for all the help. I think at this stage I will go with the private car option, as it just seems easier with all the luggage and I will still be jetlagged from flying in the day before.

I have had a few quotes for cars, but the prices vary from 60-65 to 120 GBP!

I will have to get back to the forum for recommendations of good private taxi companies.

Thanks again

Deb

7. Re: Private Taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 07:15