We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Sorrento, FL
Level Contributor
307 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Wardrobe advice for fall?

We are traveling from Florida to the Oxford area for a wedding. There's a dinner the eve. of Oct. 29, and Oct. 30 is the wedding which will involve celebrating until around midnight. The wedding is to be held in St Bartholemew's church in Ducklington; one acquaintance said it will be "freezing" in the church - true? We are in our early 50's - but don't necessarily like to look it ;)

After the festivities, my husband and I plan to stay and sightsee in the area, and perhaps into Wales or the lake country. For this I suppose that jeans, boots, sweater and jacket would work, with a couple of skirts to wear with high boots for when jeans aren't appropriate, and I have a long wool herringbone coat, since last winter was exceptionally cold for here. Does this plan sound practical?

Thanks for any advice!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

The weather is totally unpredictable from one day to the next so the best guess for end of October would be between 32f and 50f, rain, sleet, sun, fog or wind, sometimes all in one day.

The hours of daylight will be getting shorter and yes, the church will likely be 'freezing' :-)

Level Contributor
3,423 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

October isnt winter. But given the weather in the last few years, pack for everything between baking hot, and 6 foot of snow. And thats honest, not rude, honestly you cant really predict the weather in 5 mins in the UK at the moment, let alone in 3 months.

And just for reference, its Autumn in the UK. Little language thing that may get a funny look in the UK

Sorrento, FL
Level Contributor
307 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

Thanks for the quick replies. I suppose if someone were to ask me about Christmas in Florida my advice would be about the same. :)

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,282 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

Hi

I think your planned wardrobe sounds pretty perfect. Some old churches can be cold but these days they do tend to be heated to a certain level. We can have some very pleasant days in October but the evenings will be chilly. Coming from Florida you may feel the cold more than we do as we are more used to it. I think jeans, boots and a jacket sound perfect. It is quite a good idea to dress in layers then at least you can strip off it is warmer than expected. Throw in your herringbone coat and you have got it all covered.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

It's not going to be freezing in Ducklington church, which is quite small (so a decent-size wedding party will fill it to a point of mild discomfort, and you'll all heat the place), has no big empty areas and has heating anyway.

Some people MIGHT be uncomfortably cold if they're exposed to draughts from the doors (it's got both a north and south door, so it can get through-draughts) or if it's drizzly and they're standing around outside for the photographs. The real answer is to follow the dress code your friends are setting for the wedding, but if you find the place chilly when you enter, get yourself into the middle of a row of pews. And sing the hymns loudly (great tip for heating yourself up)

It's going to be neither boiling nor under six feet (or any other amount) of snow in late October. Daytime temps will be between mid-forties and lowish sixties: I live a few milesvaway, but higher (therefore colder) and usually walk around in my shirtsleeves till mid-November unless it's raining.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

It'll rain - or not. It'll be cloudy - or not. It'll be windy - or not. It'll be all of them in one day - or not.

Probably won't snow though - probably - though you might feel cold enough to think it is.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
995 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

Just for info - over the last three years the temperatures have ranged from -2 Celsius(28F) to 19 Celsius (66F) - so you have absolutely no chance of guessing right... Depressingly though you'll be arriving just after the clocks have been put back an hour - so sunset will be at 4.40pm.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

Hope you have a great visit to the Lake District (not Lake country)!!!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
995 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

I need to correct my above post!! The clocks go back this year at 2am on Sunday 31st October - so sunset on the Saturday is 5.40pm...

Edited: 23 August 2010, 16:46
10. Re: Wardrobe advice for fall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Oxford
Recent Conversations