We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gezer
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

I'm not a proffetional bicycles rider but it seems to me a good way to feel the countryside.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
950 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

I'm sorry but I cannot agree with DMidlands above. I have cycled this with absolutely no problems. As other posters have said the route is fine - with the only area of care need being round the Pear Tree roundabout. But again as others have stated - this is not truly a countryside cycle ride as you'll be alongside a dual carriageway for almost the whole trip. Here are some other routes cycle-route.com/routes/Oxfordshire-Routes-97…

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,621 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

Perhaps things are different in Birmingham. But cycling is alive and well, as the many books devoted to cycling in the u.k. and on sale at nearly every bookstore can attest.

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

hi,

its an easy ride to blenheim and back, all on cycle tracks, like the above poster`s have said, you have to cross a couple of busy round abouts. much rather cycle to blenheim than in the cotswolds, too many narrow roads and hills for my liking. not to mention the locals and tourists speeding about.

also here`s me thinking that once you get out of the village, town or city, every where is in the country side, perhaps the area between oxford and blenheim is called something else these days !!!

rgds ..

Edited: 22 September 2011, 16:34
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

Oxford to Blenheim is not a pretty route and if you are not used to cycling it will take a long time - it is 30 minutes on the bus!

Unfortunately it is just not safe to share roads with cars - particularly if you are a novice. Main British roads tend to be very busy - even if they have cycle lanes you will find lorries get very close to you.

Country lanes - even more hazardous as they are narrow and windy and car drivers go too fast. Sad, but a fact.

Good places to cycle - some parts of the New Forest, disused railway tracks (e.g. Barnstaple, Devon). Seafront at Bournemouth (only allowed in Winter months). Basically only where there are few or no cars.

Take care on your holiday - go home in one piece!

Edited: 22 September 2011, 22:42
Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

hi,

" is it wise to cycle from oxford to blenheim and back "

as the op has asked this question, some of the above posters seem to be missing the point.

yes its ok to cycle this route, its mostly flat and almost all on either cycle tracks, ( not cycle lanes in the road along side cars and big lorries etc, knock the lorry again ! )

there are a couple of round abouts to cross, but if you are careful its ok, ( no difference to crossing a busy round about on foot )

there are lots of people who commute into oxford from the woodstock area every day by cycle, i`ve seen them.

ok, sure its not a pretty route like in other parts of the country/world, but hey, once your past peartree its in the country.

check out the route on google earth !

like every thing you do, use common sense !!

rgds ..

Edited: 23 September 2011, 16:40
southern UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

But OP will only be here for a short while and there are much more scenic things to do and see.

Does he have suitable clothing? A cycle helmet? Sufficient road sense? A dodgy hired bike? Sufficient stamina? What will he do with the bicycle when he gets to Woodstock/Blenheim? Can he actually ride a bike and use the gears? I have seen tourists who cannot even get their balance - never mind ride safely through Oxford city centre!

Just don't bother doing this - more economical use of time to take the bus.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

Going through Oxford on your bicycle is not difficult at all. Woodstock Road has a bicycle path mostly on a separately right of way right up to the A40 roundabouts. I have bicycled around most of Oxford and outside of the Center and maybe a little on the Cowley Road, I have never encountered difficulties. There are either bikeways or it's not so crowded. Cowley Road is the only one with a lot of tight traffic, and even that's not so bad. I haven't been outside the A40 on Woodstock Road, but it might even be easier there. In the worst case, park at the A40, and take the S3 bus the rest of the way, but I don't think it's bad at all. Get the Google map for the bicycle directions, and it shows a clear slight short cut through back roads.

You could also take Banbury Road through Summertown to the A40 and then move over to Woodstock Road.

Also, especially coming back, if you go into Wolvercote just south of the A40, after turning toward Wolvercote, and right before the first bridge into it, you go left, then over a little humpback bridge and you are right on the Canal that goes directly to Hythe Bridge near the RR station. It's a great bike ride.

But if you have to go by bus, the StageCoach S3 goes every half hour.

Last thing: I'd say, but am not certain, it is mostly uphill to Blenheim, and mostly downhill back to Oxford, but a very, very, very gentle hill.

Edited: 21 October 2011, 20:48
18. Re: Is it wise to cycle from Oxford city to Blenheim and back?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 21:18