We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places open on Christmas Day?

Kenilworth, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Places open on Christmas Day?

I live in Winchester and want to meet my son who lives in Warwickshire for a few hours on Christmas afternoon and Oxford area is about half way. Any ideas about places to eat that will be open or cinemas? Even a pizza place would do! I am working but have 6 hours off so we would like to meet up but we don't want to have to walk the empty streets. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
969 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

Very few places will be open - The Mitre (High Street) part of the Beefeater chain may be - worth contacting them. brewersfayre.co.uk/beefeater.html#/beefeater…

You may find a few shops on the Cowley Road open - there has been in previous years - but these tend to be just local speciality stores.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,780 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

Try some of the Hotels, perhaps??

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

Hotels are your best bet but many will be charging premium rates for Christmas dinner. Otherwise I would expect a few pubs to open briefly for drinks only.

Dublin
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

You could try Quod Restaurant (part of the Old Bank Hotel) on the High Street, www.oldbank-hotel.co.uk.

Oxford, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

Try looking on daily info website which has an upto date list of places open at Christmas.

The Quod is open but you need to book.

The BP service station with a small take out cafe and marks and spencers for food is open 24/7 including Christmas Day.

Hope this helps

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

redlionoxford.co.uk/eat_drink_with_us/…

browns-restaurants.co.uk/locations/…

Edited: 19 November 2012, 10:44
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

I think this might be a bit late for the original poster. She asked this question in December 2011.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

Quod on the High street will be open and that will be really nice. Then you can have a walk along the river to the Isis pub which will also be open and serving mulled wine by candlelight! I went there one Christmas day afternoon and it was magical! Good luck!

9. Re: Places open on Christmas Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 10:15