We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this make sense?

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MINNEAPOLIS
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does this make sense?

We are visiting London later this year as well as the Cotswolds and Northern Wales. I know driving around London is difficult so we were thinking of after our visit in London taking the train to Oxford, renting a car there. Driving on to the Cotswolds and Northern Wales and returning the car after a week to Oxford and taking the Bus to Heathrow for our return flight home . Does this make sense and is the car hire area in Oxford close to both the train station and the bus station? In London we are staying around Trafager Square, I think we would catch the train at Paddington Station if I read other posts correctly. Thanks for your help

Essex
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does this make sense?

To me it makes excellent sense. However I have no idea where car hire firms are located in Oxford in relation to the station, maybe yellow pages can help:

http://www.yell.com/

If you are planning to stay there a day or 2 then you won't need a car while you are IN Oxford, either. For a centre of motor manufacturing, it is one of the least car-friendly Cities in the UK!!

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
938 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does this make sense?

As far as car hire locations are concerned - Avis are next door to the station, Budget, Thrifty, Hertz and National all appear to offer a train station meet and greet (with their offices within a mile). That being said as mentioned above a car is certainly not recommended for getting round Oxford - cost of parking and the one way system being one issue - and the Bus Gates with automatic fines not helping! Nearly all the places you'd wish to see in Oxford are within walking distance - and, depending if/where you stay within the city, overnight parking might be a problem as well.

By the way whilst the Cotswold is an easy trip from Oxford - North Wales is a drive of up to 4 hours.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does this make sense?

Hi,

If you are staying in that area bare in mind every day you use the car in London during the week, you'd be paying the congestion charge and rather expensive car parking. May I just ask, would it make more sense to forget the car, take the tube into london and then catch the Oxford Tube up to Oxford which operates on a very frequent basis every 15 minutes when I last looked, and I even thought it stopped near Teafigular Square and on the way back as you say catching one of the coaches direct to Heathrow?

Essex
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does this make sense?

Helloooo jdt - did you actually READ the header post??

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does this make sense?

Whoops sorry about that!!!

MINNEAPOLIS
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Does this make sense?

I appreciate all your responces and jdt, I realize my question was a little long and confusing but thank you for you responce. Yes, didn't plan on driving around Oxford, just out to the Cotswolds. When we return to Oxford the hotel we are staying in Oxford has parking. So, was thinking of just leaving the car at the hotel or turn it in a day early and walk. Thanks again everyone

7. Re: Does this make sense?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 20:40