We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which college to stay in

Which Oxford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boise
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
which college to stay in

My husband and I are visiting Oxford in Aug and I plan to stay in one of the colleges. I am so excited to really experience a college in this way but I can't decide between Magdalen, Keble, Queens or Exeter. Can and epert please advise me? I wnat an authentic, really old and beautiful college. I'm looking for atmosphere more than comfort! Something very Harry Potteresque!

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which college to stay in

Magdalen College and Exeter are lovely and probably more the "traditional" college styles - your "Harry Potteresque" request. They have the amazing dining halls and lovely quads. Keble is a very new college with Victorian architecture while Queens is more english renaissance style..

Magdalen also benefits from its own deer park but Queens and Exeter are more "central". Thats not to say all the four colleges are not central...Oxford is small and compact compared to Cam.

But to your final point...Exeter and Magdalen would be my recommendation...then again I am bias towards Exeter...it has the best secret view of Oxford.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which college to stay in

It's worth double-checking you're actually staying in the historic college.

Some of the rooms offered on the website are in recent annexes, sometimes some distance from the college itself, but with "better" amenities (ie resemble more closely a Travelodge). A lot of visitors, believe it or not, really do put double-glazing (to keep out the noise of those loud bells) ahead of a view across a medieval roof.

Assuming your room really is the core college complex, I'd say it's a tossup between the three older, central, colleges. Queen's was built several centuries after the Renaissance. Largely designed by Hawksmoor in the 18th century, its main quad is one of Oxford's most beautiful buildings, and is one of the highlights of the English classical revival. Magdalen is the grandest, and personally I'd put Exeter last in that list of three. (Keble's halfway to Woodstock, surrounded by laboratories and looks like a Midwestern prep school)

Which goes to show how pointless asking for people's preferences on websites is.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which college to stay in

God forbid, you end up choosing The Queen's College and end up lodging in the Florey Building.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which college to stay in

i concur with all the comments - and my vote would be for Magdalen...

Dublin
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which college to stay in

"Keble's halfway to Woodstock, surrounded by laboratories and looks like a Midwestern prep school"

flanneruk, could you clarify this comment for me?

I'm booked to stay in Keble in August - it was the only college with availability for the room-type we needed and within our budget.

How it looks is not a deal-breaker for me, but it being half-way to Woodstock certainly is. On the map it looks fairly central - more central than half the hotels recommended here. Is it really that far out?

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
945 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which college to stay in

I think flanneruk was using a bit of poetic licence! Keble is probably best described as situated on the northern edge of the City centre - but it is still only 1/2 a mile away. The majority of the other colleges are, however, even closer. It is situated in the science area - so most of the nearby buildings tend to be laboratories etc - rather than other colleges - that being said the location is still very nice with both the University Parks and the University/Pitt Rivers Museums being on the doorstep.

Where I suspect Flanneruk may agree with me is that to my mind it is one of the less beautiful colleges in Oxford. It was constructed in the 1870's and the main buildings are neo-gothic red-brick - which is a startling contrast to the majority of the colleges - and (in my opinion I hastily add) looks remarkably ugly! The red brick I suspect, is the reason flanneruk drew a comparison to US midwest schools

Edited: 23 June 2012, 23:35
7. Re: which college to stay in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 20:15