We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxford in 1 day with a baby

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Oxford in 1 day with a baby

Hi, we would like to visit Oxford and there are quite a lot of sites I'd like to see but as I will be with our baby daughter in a pram can anyone recommend anything good, and anything to give a miss?

So what we are planning on doing is drive to Oxford, park somewhere (suggestsions anyone?) and then stroll about. Sort of things we'd like to see are the University (not sure which college), Ashmolean, Pitt Rivers museum, a nice place to eat (child friendly).

Would be grateful for any suggestions and advice thanks,

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxford in 1 day with a baby

For parking I would strongly suggest one of the Park & Rides - Oxford is famously difficult to negotiate with a car and the P&R is regualr and cheaper than parking for the day (and the buses have buggy spaces, too):

parkandride.net/oxford/…oxford_frameset.html

oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/decTS/Park_and_Ride…

You can get off along High St and see quite a few of the colleges, I particular like to stroll up Queen's Lane (past St Edmund's Hall, my Dad's old college!) and round to see the Bridge of Sighs, the Bodleian and the Radcliffe Camera.

The Ashmolean is excellent, well worth a visit, and the cafe there is good and child friendly (ground floor). The Pitt Rivers is small and might be tight with a pram in places but also very much worth seeing. It is a really lovely place just to wander and enjoy the buildings and atmosphere really.

Mentioned in this post
Radcliffe Camera
Radcliffe Camera
345 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxford in 1 day with a baby

Hi, Oxford castle unlocked usually requires a climb of the tower, this can be avoided and they do have a lift for the three floor prison section but they say the lift is unreliable, this might be as they aren't fully sure how to operate it. I think I might have been the first one to get it to work properly but it is dodgy. The Ashmolean is fine, plenty of lifts (reliable) and ramp access at the front.

My only other concern is climbing the tower where I think City Sightseeing have their offices, there's no lift. You should be ok finding somewhere you can eat, the only places where you might have problems is some much older buildings. Although, places like, Debenhams, m&s etc. should be fine.

Getting around won't be a problem, I don't have one but be warned, the toilets on the underpass next to Westgate have closed, your nearest ones are through Westgate Centre and the car park there.

Mentioned in this post
City Sightseeing Oxford
City Sightseeing Oxford
407 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Debenhams
Debenhams
34 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Oxford
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxford in 1 day with a baby

Definitely use a park and ride!

Weather permitting take the open topped tour bus to get your bearings, baby and buggy will be fine! Walk through Christ Church meadows down to the river enter just below CC college entrance (St Aldates) and take right path down to the river. Circular paths bring you very scenically round to the bottom of the High St, head for Magdalen tower. Magdalen College opposite may be open to go and see the deer park? Or take a row boat on the river (office under the bridge) assuming you cannot punt; this is not the weather to be learning!

The Crypt, an organic Cafe underneath St Mary's should suit you very well for eats.

If it is raining, you could spend a wonderful day between the Ashmolean and the Pitt Rivers museums both child friendly and good cafes.

Have a wonderful day in this wonderful city!

Mentioned in this post
Christ Church
Christ Church
1,951 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Magdalen College
Magdalen College
583 Reviews
Oxford, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxford in 1 day with a baby

Thanks all, very helpful. I'll have a look at parking in p&r as suggested:)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxford in 1 day with a baby

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the park and ride, it is an absolute faff to get prams on and off buses and whilst the buses from car park to centre are ok, from centre to car park they are often crowded if you head home at the same time as everyone else (ie late sat afternoon). I don't know why people make such a fuss about driving in Oxford - there are one or two streets in the centre that are closed to private cars but the one-way system is all clearly signposted, and there is parking available, although some of the central car parks are expensive. Traffic in Oxford is not heavy and if you can drive around Birmingham you will find Oxford quiet by comparison.

I've been going to Oxford for many years and only bothered with the P&R twice because driving into the centre is actually easier and cheaper, if you go at the right time and to the right place.

Assuming you are arriving at a weekend, I would aim to park around Norham Gardens (near Lady Margaret Hall) where there are metered spaces that are £3 for 2 hours and from 1300 on a Saturday parking is free. From there it is a pleasant 10-12 minute stroll into the centre of Oxford through the University Parks, past the Pitt Rivers Museum, Keble, Wadham and Trinity Colleges. So, if you aim to arrive there at 11am on a Saturday you will get all-day parking for £3, no aggro with buses, your car will still be accessible if you forget some essential baby kit and you will walk past some of the attractions on your list.

Parking map is here

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/oxford/

There are lots of cafes and restaurants dotted all over and prams and mums all over the place so I wouldn't worry about finding somewhere to eat. Don't forget to have a wander round the Covered Market - plenty of nice shops and cafes there.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Lady Margaret Hall
Lady Margaret Hall
16 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Oxford University Parks
Oxford University Parks
319 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Pitt Rivers Museum
Pitt Rivers Museum
3,224 Reviews
Oxford, UK
Oxford Covered Market
Oxford Covered Market
670 Reviews
Oxford, UK
6. Re: Oxford in 1 day with a baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 10:16